Steven Heller (design writer)
This biographical article needs more biographical information on the subject.December 2010)(
|Born||July 7, 1950|
New York City
Heller is author and co-author of many works on the history of illustration, typography, and many subjects related to graphic design. He has published more than eighty titles and written articles for magazines including Affiche, Baseline, Creation, Design, Design Issues, Design Observer, Eye, Graphis, How, I.D., Oxymoron, Mother Jones, The New York Times Book Review, Print, Speak, and U&lc magazine.
For thirty-three years Heller was a senior art director of U&lc magazine, a publication devoted to typography. As of 2007,[needs update] he is co-chair with Lita Talarico of the MFA Designer as Author program and also co-founder of the former Design Criticism program (D-Crit) at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. He has collaborated on books with graphic designer, Louise Fili, his wife, as well as with others including the Design Dialogue series.
Awards and recognition
In 1999, Heller received an AIGA Medal for what designer Paula Scher described as "lifetime achievement that comes from a workday existing roughly between 4:30 and 8:45 A.M. before a full workday at the New York Times Book Review." In 2017, the AIGA named an award, the Steven Heller Prize for Cultural Commentary, in his honor, citing his three decades of contributions to cultural discourse on design.
Exhibitions (as curator)
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The Art of Simplicisimus (The Goethe House)
- The Malik Verlag (The Goethe House)
- Political Art: Ten Years of Graphic Commentary (AIGA)
- L'Assiette au Beurre (The French Institute)
- Cartoonists for a Nuclear Freeze (Marymount College)
- The Art of Satire (Pratt Graphic Center)
- Graphic Jesters: Two Generations (Schiller Wapner Gallery)
- Art Against War (Parsons School of Design)
- Typographic Treasures: The Work of W.A. Dwiggins (ITC Gallery)
- Push Pin Studio Retrospecitive (Cooper Union)
- "Career Advice Articles - Career Tips & Job Search Help". Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Up Front", The New York Times, November 16, 2007. Accessed November 27, 2007.
- "Writing Is Design, Too", The Atlantic, July 16, 2012. Accessed January 30, 2015.
- "Women Lead supporter interview series: Deborah Adler". Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Scher, Paula. "Steven Heller". AIGA. AIGA. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Steven Heller Prize for Cultural Commentary". AIGA. AIGA. Retrieved 26 March 2019.