Levenson at BookExpo America in 2018
|Alma mater||Brown University|
|Occupation||Playwright, television writer|
|Awards||Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical|
Levenson was raised in Bethesda, Maryland and attended St. Andrew’s Episcopal School and Brown University. He originally studied theater and English but then turned to playwriting. In discussing his interests in writing, he said: "...it does seem that a lot of my work tends to move in that [family] direction. I do find the dynamics in the family to be fascinating and endlessly variable. Family is, obviously, among the most universal experiences." Although he writes for television as well as the stage, he said: "Theater will always be my first love."
The Unavoidable Disappearance of Tom Durnin was produced Off-Broadway by the Roundabout Theatre Company at the Laura Pels Theatre, opening in June 2013. The play was produced under the Roundabout Theatre's New Play Initiative.
His play If I Forget opened Off-Broadway at the Laura Pels Theatre on February 22, 2017 and closed on April 30, 2017. Directed by Daniel Sullivan the cast featured Jeremy Shamos, Kate Walsh and Maria Dizzia.
His play Days of Rage will open at the Off-Broadway Second Stage Theater's Tony Kiser Theatre on October 2, 2018 with direction by Trip Cullman. The play concerns activists in the late 1960s. Days of Rage was earlier presented at the Hartford Stage Brand New Play Festival in a reading in November 2011, directed by Darko Tresnjak.
Levenson is married to Whitney May, who has worked in art history and design history. They have a daughter, born in 2015.
Awards and nominations
His play If I Forget was nominated for the 2017 Drama Desk Awards: Outstanding Play, Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play (Jeremy Shamos), Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play (Kate Walsh) and Outstanding Director of a Play. The play was nominated for the 2017 Drama League Award: Outstanding Production of a Play and Distinguished Performance (Kate Walsh). It was nominated for the 2017 Hewes Design Award, Scenic Design (Derek McLane).
- Traiger, Lisa."Questions & answers with … Steven Levenson" washingtonjewishweek, July 29, 2015
- Amatenstein, Sherry (March 24, 2017). "Steven Levenson on Writing 'Dear Evan Hansen' and 'If I Forget'" Paste Magazine. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Bacalzo, Dan. "Review. 'The Language of Trees'" theatermania.com, October 29, 2008
- "Roundabout Opens 'The Unavoidable Disappearance Of Tom Durnin' Tonight" broadwayworld.com, June 26, 2013
- The Unavoidable Disappearance of Tom Durnin broadwayworld.com, retrieved May 7, 2018
- If I Forget lortel.org, retrieved May 7, 2018
- McPhee, Ryan. "Kate Baldwin and Bryce Pinkham to Star in World Premiere of Tom Kitt and John Logan’s 'Superhero' for Second Stage" Playbill, May 9, 2018
- Days of Rage adamwgreen.com, retrieved May 9, 2018
- "Hartford Stage's Brand:NEW 2011 Runs 11/3-6" broadwayworld.com, November 3, 2011
- Gelman, Vlada (November 30, 2016). "Masters of Sex Is Done at Showtime". TVLine. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Klug, Lisa. "This nice Jewish boy just nabbed 9 Tony nominations" Times of Israel, May 3, 2017
- 2016 Winners Obie Awards
- " 'Dear Evan Hansen' 's Steven Levenson Wins 2017 Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical" broadwayworld.com, June 11, 2017
- The Unavoidable Disappearance of Tom Durnin lortel.org, retrieved May 7, 2018