Author Steve Levy at a book signing at Nest Labs in Palo Alto, February 2014
|Genre||non-fiction (science-technology, business)|
Levy is writer and Editor at Large for Wired. He was previously chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek. Levy has had articles published in Harper's, Macworld, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Premiere, and Rolling Stone. He is regarded as a prominent and respected critic of Apple Inc. In July 2004, Levy wrote a cover story (which also featured an interview with Apple CEO Steve Jobs) which unveiled the 4th generation of the iPod to the world before Apple had officially done so.
In 1984, his book Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution was published. He described a "hacker ethic", which became a guideline to understanding how computers have advanced into the machines that we know and use today. He identified this hacker ethic to consist of key points such as that all information is free, and that this information should be used to "change life for the better".
Levy won the "Computer Press Association Award" for a report he co-wrote in 1998 on the Year 2000 problem.
Education and personal life
Levy received his bachelor's degree from Temple University and earned a master's degree in literature from Pennsylvania State University. He lives in New York City with his wife, Pulitzer Prize winner Teresa Carpenter, and son.
- Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution (1984)
- The Unicorn's Secret: Murder in the Age of Aquarius (1988)
- Artificial Life: The Quest for a New Creation (1992)
- Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer That Changed Everything (1994)
- Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government Saving Privacy in the Digital Age (2001)
- The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness (2006)
- In The Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives (2011)
- Facebook: The Inside Story (2020)
Essays and reporting
- "Einstein's Brain". About Steven. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "About Steven Levy". Stevenlevy.com.
- Wired often changes the title of a print article when it is published online. This article is titled "Bill Gates and President Bill Clinton on the NSA, Safe Sex, and American Exceptionalism" online.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steven Levy.|
- Steven Levy's website
- Works by Steven Levy at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Steven Levy at Internet Archive
- on YouTube
- Lebowski Podcast Episode 27 – Steven Levy's Wish List Interview with Steven Levy about The Big Lebowski and his interview with the Coen Brothers.
- Lebowski Podcast Episode 27a – Steven Levy on Technology Chalupa and Steven Levy talk about blogging, Twitter, internet security, etc.
- Appearances on C-SPAN