Steven Lisberger at the 2010 Comic Con in San Diego
Steven M. Lisberger
April 24, 1951
|Alma mater||Tufts University|
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Peggy Flook Lisberger|
Steven M. Lisberger (born April 24, 1951) is an American film director, producer and writer famous for directing Tron in 1982.
Early life and education
Lisberger was born in 1951 in New York City and grew up in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. Of his ethnic background, he says that his father was Jewish while his "mother’s side of the family put him in a concentration camp." Lisberger attended The Hill School in Pottstown. He went on to become a 1974 graduate of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Massachusetts.
While attending Tufts University, Lisberger and five associates formed Lisberger Studios. Their first project of note was Cosmic Cartoon, which earned a Student Academy Award nomination in 1973. It was also featured in the nationally-released anthology film, Fantastic Animation Festival, in 1977. Through his company, Lisberger Studios, Lisberger directed the production of commercials, title sequences, and feature segments for Make a Wish and Rebop.
In 1978, after moving to Venice, California, Lisberger and his business partner Donald Kushner conceived and produced a 90-minute animated film, Animalympics, for NBC's coverage of the 1980 Olympics. They then turned their creative efforts to the development of Tron at The Walt Disney Company. It was released in 1982, and has since become a cult classic.
In 1989, Lisberger directed Slipstream, though the film was a critical and commercial failure.
Lisberger spent most of the 1990s and 2000s writing screenplays, with several being optioned by various studios.
Lisbergertried for years to get a develop a Tron sequel, though the project languished in development hell. Eventually, Disney green-lit Tron: Legacy, in 2010 for which Lisberger served as producer. The film was a success at the box office and was followed by a television series, Tron: Uprising.
|1973||Cosmic Cartoon||Yes||Short film; also animator & art director|
|1982||Tron||Yes||Yes||Also visual effects concepts|
|2010||Tron: Legacy||Yes||Cameo as "Shaddix"|
- Liel Leibovitz (20 December 2010), "Tron and the Jewish question", Tablet magazine. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- admin (November 30, 2019). "The School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University". Fine Art Shipping. Retrieved January 19, 2020.
- LoProto, Mark (November 22, 2019). "How to Stream 'Tron (1982)': Your Family Viewing Guide". Heavy.com. Retrieved January 19, 2020.
- Weintraub, Steve 'Frosty' (March 16, 2010). "Steven Lisberger On Set Interview TRON LEGACY - Read or Listen Here". Collider. Retrieved January 19, 2020.
- "Trying to go beyond Tron".
- "Tron Legacy Set Interview: Steven Lisberger, Creator of Tron – /Film". March 17, 2010.
- "Disney pulls out the stops for 'Tron' and 'Tron: Legacy'". pilotonline.com. Retrieved January 19, 2020.