Steven M. Greer
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2021)
Steven M. Greer
Steven Macon Greer (June 28, 1955) is an American ufologist who founded the Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence (CSETI) and the Disclosure Project, which seeks the disclosure of alleged classified UFO information.
Early life and pre-ufology career
Greer was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1955. He claims to have seen an unidentified flying object at close range when he was about eight years old, which inspired his interest in ufology. Greer was trained as a Transcendental Meditation teacher and served as director of a meditation organization. He received a B.S. degree in biology from Appalachian State University in 1982 and an M.D. degree from the James H. Quillen College of Medicine of East Tennessee State University in 1987. Greer received his Virginia medical license in 1989, worked as an emergency room physician, and in 1998 retired as a physician in favor of his ufology activities.
Greer founded the Center for the Study of Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (CSETI) in 1990 to create a diplomatic and research-based initiative to contact extraterrestrial civilizations. The official statements regarding its intentions also included a new category of extraterrestrial encounters, namely CE-5 or 'close encounters of the fifth kind'. This was defined by Greer as human initiated contact and/or communication with extraterrestrial life. CSETI claims to have over 3,000 confirmed reports of UFO sightings by pilots, and over 4,000 proofs of what they describe as landing traces. The organisation utilizes 'Rapid Mobilisation Investigative Teams' with the aim of arriving at landing sites as quickly as possible. CSETI has defined a protocol for human initiated contact to UFOs using consciousness.
In 1993, Greer founded the Disclosure Project, the goal of which is to publicly disclose the government's alleged knowledge of UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and advanced energy and propulsion systems. The Disclosure Project was founded in an effort to grant amnesty to government whistle-blowers willing to violate their security oaths by sharing insider knowledge about UFOs. Greer claims to have briefed CIA director James Woolsey at a dinner party, although Woolsey disputes the accuracy of Greer's claim.
In 1997, Greer, along with other members of CSETI, including Apollo astronaut Edgar Mitchell, made a presentation at a background briefing for members of Congress. In May 2001, Greer held a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. that featured 20 retired Air Force, Federal Aviation Administration and intelligence officers.
Conspiracy theory claims
Greer claims that a covert, transnational, mostly corporate group that has no oversight from any governments, and which possesses anti-gravity technology and craft, has had a plan since the 1950s to hoax an alien attack.
In 2013, Greer co-produced Sirius, a documentary detailing his work and hypotheses regarding extraterrestrial life, government cover-ups and close encounters of the fifth kind. The film was directed by Amardeep Kaleka and narrated by Thomas Jane, and covers Greer's 2006 book Hidden Truth, Forbidden Knowledge. The movie premiered on April 22, 2013, in Los Angeles, California, and features interviews from former government and military officials. Sirius depicts a six-inch human skeleton known as the Atacama skeleton, and features images and a DNA test of the skeleton. Genetic evidence showed that it was human, with genetic markers found in "indigenous women from the Chilean region of South America". The director of the center that did the analysis said, "It's an interesting medical mystery of an unfortunate human with a series of birth defects that currently [...] the genetics of which are not obvious."
In 2017, Unacknowledged, a crowdfunded documentary featuring Greer was released. It was directed by Michael Mazzola and narrated by Giancarlo Esposito. After debuting on iTunes and digital platforms on May 9, 'Unacknowledged' moved to the number 1 documentary spot on those platforms.
Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind: Contact has Begun was released April 2020. The documentary was directed and written by Michael Mazzola and stars Greer, Daniel Sheehan, Adam Curry, and Russel Targ. According to the film, a close encounter of the fifth kind is when a human initiates contact with an extraterrestrial.
- Extraterrestrial Contact: The Evidence and Implications (Crossing Point, 1999)
- Disclosure: Military and Government Witnesses Reveal the Greatest Secrets in Modern History (Crossing Point, 2001)
- Hidden Truth, Forbidden Knowledge (Crossing Point, 2006)
- Unacknowledged: An Expose of the World's Greatest Secret (Sirius Technology Advanced Research, 2017)
- Lewis-Kraus, Gideon (April 30, 2021) How the Pentagon Started Taking U.F.O.s Seriously. The New Yorker. Retrieved on July 5, 2021.
- Thompson, Keith (October 1989). "If We Call Them, Will They Come?". Yoga Journal. pp. 70–77, 1–154. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
page 70: By day, he is chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at a medium-sized hospital, frequently on call for periods of 12 to 24 hours.
- Heard, Alexander S. (September 1, 1994). "Alien douglas brothers, come on down!". Outside. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Steven Macon Greer Virginia Board of Medicine, accessed January 20, 2013
- Oppegard, Brett (September 11, 2001). "Founder of UFO Project is Coming to Portland". The Columbian. Archived from the original on June 25, 2001. Retrieved March 10, 2013. Alt URL
- Berger, Joanne (December 1, 2001). "Doctor UFO". Internal Medicine News. Archived from the original on May 9, 2013. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "They're Here; UFO watchers to reveal proof that aliens have visited Earth". The Daily Record. May 9, 2001.
- Masselos, Poppy (September 26, 2000). "The aliens on the Internet". Courier Mail. Queensland, Australia. p. H04.
- Heard, Alex (March 21, 1999). "Apocalypse soon: A close encounter in the wilds of Minnesota". The Ottawa Citizen. p. C4.
- Hulse, Tim (July 26, 1998). "Make friends with an alien, says UFO man". The Independent. London, UK. p. 4.
- Schmidt, Brad (April 25, 2002). "Alien theorist offers proof of government coverup". Oregon Daily Emerald. Retrieved December 12, 2012.
- "The Disclosure Project Website". The Disclosure Project. 2010. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
The Disclosure Project is a research project working to fully disclose the facts about UFOs, extraterrestrial intelligence, and classified advanced energy and propulsion systems.
- Tudor, Silke (September 26, 2001). "Alien Culture". SF Weekly. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Cox, Billy (August 6, 2008). "Admiral: Never looked for UFO data". Herald Tribune. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Greer Letter". www.ufowatchdog.com. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Woolsey, James. "Rebuttal letter to Greer" (PDF).
- Mendoza, Manuel (October 10, 1994). "Alien Obsession Hits Even Larry King". The Wichita Eagle. Archived from the original on October 11, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2013. Alt URL
- Lord, Mary (April 14, 1997). "The Unending Search for UFOs". U.S. News & World Report. Archived from the original on May 9, 2013. Retrieved November 27, 2015.
- Duin, Julia (May 11, 2001). "Government is covering up UFO evidence, group says". The Washington Times. Archived from the original on May 16, 2001. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Katelynn Raymer; David Ruppe (May 10, 2001). "Group Calls for Disclosure of UFO Info". ABC News. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- "UFO spotters slam 'US cover-up'". BBC News. May 10, 2001.
- Kehnemui, Sharon (May 10, 2001). "Men in Suits See Aliens as Part of Solution, Not Problem". Fox News. Retrieved May 10, 2007.
- McCullagh, Declan (May 10, 2001). "Ooo-WEE-ooo Fans Come to D.C." Wired News. Retrieved May 10, 2007.
- Keller, Martin. (June 12, 2021) The big UFO report, in context. Star Tribune. Retrieved on 2021-07-05.
- Sullivan, Paul (April 9, 2013). "New documentary proves aliens exist. We're dead Sirius". Metro News. Archived from the original on April 28, 2013.
- "Tiny Alien Humanoid Claimed To Exist In Steven Greer's documentary 'Sirius' [PHOTO, VIDEO]". Ibtimes.com. April 9, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "UFO film to provide proof that aliens exist". Zeenews.india.com. April 10, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "UFO Film May Provide Proof of Tiny Extraterrestrial Aliens: Six Inch Body Dissected (Video) : Space". Science World Report. April 9, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2013.
- "Atacama Humanoid is Human, Researchers Say". Medical Daily. May 1, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Hillary Clinton Championed UFO Disclosure, Doc Filmmakers Say. The Hollywood Reporter (May 31, 2017). Retrieved on 2021-07-05.
- Glieberman, Owen. "'Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind': Film Review". Retrieved July 7, 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steven M. Greer.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Steven M. Greer|
- Steven Greer biography at the Disclosure Project
- Executive Summary of the Disclosure Project Briefing Document at the Disclosure Project