Okert with the San Francisco Giants in 2017
|Born: July 9, 1991|
|April 19, 2016, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||4.28|
Draft and minor leagues
Okert graduated from Rowlett High School in Rowlett, Texas. Okert was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 43rd round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of Grayson County College, but did not sign and returned to Grayson. He was then drafted by the Brewers again in the 33rd round of the 2011 Draft, but again did not sign and transferred to the University of Oklahoma. In his lone season for the Sooners, he appeared in 30 games with five starts, going 9–8 with a 3.07 earned run average (ERA) and 78 strikeouts.
Okert was then drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the fourth round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. He made his professional debut that season for the Arizona League Giants and also played for the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes. He had a 2.20 ERA in 28 2⁄3 innings. Okert played the 2013 season with the Augusta GreenJackets, recording a 2.97 ERA with 59 strikeouts in 60 2⁄3 innings. He started 2014 with the San Jose Giants. After recording a 1.53 ERA, 19 saves and 54 strikeouts in 35 1⁄3 innings, he was promoted to the Double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels. The Giants added him to their 40-man roster after the 2015 season.
San Francisco Giants
Okert was called up to the San Francisco Giants on April 19, 2016. Okert made his major league debut later that day against the Arizona Diamondbacks. He pitched 2 scoreless innings, getting a batter to ground into a double play and recorded his first two major league strikeouts. Okert struck out in his first MLB at-bat, coming against left-handed relief pitcher Adam Liberatore of the Dodgers. In 16 games, Okert pitched 14 innings, recording 14 strikeouts with a 3.21 ERA.
Okert started the season with Triple-A Sacramento, but was called up to the Giants in April. On May 3, 2017, Okert recorded his first major league win, pitching 12⁄3 innings of scoreless relief in an extra-inning victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers. Okert made 44 relief appearances and pitched 27 innings for the Giants during the 2017 season.
Okert was designated for assignment on March 23, 2019, and outrighted on March 26. He became a free agent following the 2019 season.
- "San Francisco Giants Media Guide" (PDF). 2016. p. 148.
- Former Eagles continue careers in minor leagues
- Giants conclude 2nd day of 2012 First-Year Player Draft
- Giants take college pitchers with seven of first 10 draft picks
- Squirrels’ Okert developing into a reliever to watch
- Farm report: Giants prospect promoted, A's prospect mashing
- Giants add eight pitchers to 40-man roster
- "George Kontos placed on DL, Chris Heston optioned by Giants". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Haft, Chris. "Okert relishes 'amazing' big league debut". MLB.com. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Schulman, Henry (April 16, 2017). "Giants recall reliever Steven Okert to replace Jarrett Parker". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Pavlovic, Alex (May 3, 2017). "Giants Notes: Okert's Beer Shower; Pair of Injured Players Sent to Arizona". NBC Sports Bay Area.
- Matt Eddy (November 7, 2019). "Minor League Free Agents 2019". Baseball America. Retrieved November 7, 2019.