Oleksy with the Penguins in 2016.
February 4, 1986 |
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||194 lb (88 kg; 13 st 12 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
San Diego Gulls (AHL)
Steven Andrew Oleksy (born February 4, 1986) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman. He is currently playing for the San Diego Gulls in the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL).
Oleksy was born in Chesterfield Township, Michigan. He attended L'Anse Creuse High School-North and graduated in 2004. He has one brother, Daniel, who played hockey at Oakland University. During high school Oleksy was a four-year letter winner at L'Anse Creuse High School-North. He went on to play one year of NJCAA college baseball at Macomb Community College. His jersey number was retired at L'Anse Creuse High School North on May 13, 2014.
Oleksy grew up playing hockey around the metro Detroit area. He played for the Troy Sting AA team, before moving on to play junior hockey in the Central States Hockey League with the Michigan Metro Jets. He then went on to play in the NAHL with the Traverse City North Stars. Oleksy then won a scholarship at Lake Superior State University where he played three seasons of NCAA Division I college hockey with the Lake Superior State Lakers men's ice hockey team. Following his graduation, Oleksy turned professional to join the Las Vegas Wranglers for two games at the end of their 2008–09 ECHL season.
After starting the 2011–12 season with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL for a third season, Oleksy joined the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on loan before signing an extension for the remainder of the year on February 23, 2012.
Proving a solid addition to the Sound Tigers defense, Oleksy was signed as a free agent for the following 2012–13 season in the AHL with the Hershey Bears on July 2, 2012. After 55 games with the Bears and ranking third among AHL defensemen in penalty minutes, Oleksy was signed to his first NHL deal with the Bears' affiliate, the Washington Capitals, on a three-year two-way contract on March 4, 2013. He was then immediately recalled to the Capitals. In his NHL debut, he registered an assist for the Capitals in a 4–3 comeback victory over the Boston Bruins on March 5.
On July 1, 2015, Oleksy left the Capitals as a free agent and signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins. On June 12, 2016 Oleksy won the Stanley Cup as a member of the Penguins. Following the game he drank his first ever sip of alcohol out of it.
In the 2016–17 season, Oleksy started a second season in Scranton before he returned to NHL action, appearing in 11 games with Pittsburgh for 1 assist. On March 1, 2017, Oleksy was included in a trade by the Penguins alongside Eric Fehr and a fourth-round pick in 2017, to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for Frank Corrado. He was directly assigned to AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
On July 2, 2017, Oleksy secured a two-year, one-way contract as a free agent with the Anaheim Ducks.
|2005–06||Traverse City North Stars||NAHL||57||11||19||30||140||5||0||1||1||2|
|2006–07||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||39||2||2||4||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||36||1||6||7||36||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Lake Superior State U.||CCHA||38||0||9||9||50||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Las Vegas Wranglers||ECHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Port Huron Icehawks||IHL||28||1||1||2||35||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||17||0||4||4||39||3||0||1||1||2|
|2011–12||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||50||1||14||15||98||3||0||0||0||2|
|2017–18||San Diego Gulls||AHL||54||7||13||20||66||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Walleye Agree To Terms With Seven More! Meet the Walleye Signees at Hens Game!". Toledo Walleye. 2009-03-12. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Riley, Oleksy sign AHL contracts". American Hockey League. 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Taffe, DiSalvatore, Berry and Oleksy bolster roster". Hershey Bears. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Capitals sign and recall Steven Oleksy from Hershey". Washington Capitals. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Fehr's OT goal completes comeback as Capitals top Bruins". The Sports Network. 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Penguins sign defenseman Steven Oleksy". Pittsburgh Penguins. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Steve Oleksy's First Taste of Alcohol Was Out of the Stanley Cup". Russian Machine Never Breaks. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- "Maple Leafs acquire Fehr, Oleksy and pick from Penguins for Corrado". Sportsnet.ca. 2017-03-01. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Ducks ink four players". American Hockey League. 2017-07-02. Retrieved 2017-07-02.