Steve Sasson at photokina 2010
July 4, 1950 |
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Known for||Inventor of the first digital camera.|
Steven J. Sasson (born July 4, 1950) is an American electrical engineer and the inventor of the digital camera. Sasson is a 1972 (BS) and 1973 (MS) graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in electrical engineering. He attended and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School.
First digital camera
Steven Sasson invented the first digital camera at Eastman Kodak in 1975. It weighed 8 pounds (3.6 kg) and had only 0.01 megapixels. The image was recorded onto a cassette tape and this process took 23 seconds. His camera took images in black-and-white. As he set out on this project of the electronic camera, what he envisioned for the future was a camera without mechanical moving parts.
Life and career
Sasson was born in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Ragnhild Tomine (Endresen) and John Vincent Sasson. His mother was Norwegian. His invention began in 1975 with a broad assignment from his supervisor at Eastman Kodak Company, Gareth A. Lloyd: to attempt to build an electronic camera using a charge coupled device (CCD). The resulting camera invention was awarded U.S. Patent 4,131,919. Sasson now works to protect the intellectual capital of his employer, Eastman Kodak Company.
On November 17, 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama awarded Sasson the National Medal of Technology and Innovation at a ceremony in the East Room of the White House. This is the highest honor awarded by the US government to scientists, engineers, and inventors. On 6 September 2012 The Royal Photographic Society awarded Sasson its Progress Medal and Honorary Fellowship "in recognition of any invention, research, publication or other contribution that has resulted in an important advance in the scientific or technological development of photography or imaging in the widest sense."
Sasson was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2011.
- U.S. Patent 4,131,919 Patent – Electronic Still camera
- "The Rediff Interview/Steven J Sasson, inventor of the digital camera". Rediff.com India Limited. August 7, 2006. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Alumni Hall of Fame".
- Estrin, James (August 12, 2015). "Kodak's First Digital Moment". The New York Times.
- "Sydvesten" (PDF). Rogaland-historie.no. 2008. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Dobbin, Ben. (2005-09-08) Kodak . seattlepi.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-15.
- "Obama awards the National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation Ceremony: Speech Transcript". washingtonpost.com. 17 November 2010.
- "What You Missed: Tuesday Talk on The National MedalsLaureates of Science, Technology and Innovations". whitehouse.gov. 17 November 2010.
-  Archived August 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Photokina Daily" (PDF). Photokina-daily.com. 22 September 2008. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- The Dawn of Digital Photography - interview with Steven Sasson on the invention of the digital camera
- Disruptive Innovation: The Story of the First Digital Camera, lecture by Steven Sasson at the Linda Hall Library (October 26, 2011)