Shafer is the former (2006-2016) editor-in-chief of Anesthesia & Analgesia. He specializes in the clinical pharmacology of intravenous anesthetic drugs. Shafer left Stanford in 2007 to go to Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons as a professor of anesthesiology. In 2012, Shafer returned to Stanford as an anesthesia professor in the Stanford University Medical Center. In addition, he is adjunct associate professor of bioengineering and therapeutic sciences at the University of California, San Francisco.
Shafer was a co-founder of PharmacoFore, which subsequently changed its name to Signature Therapeutics. He has held executive positions at other companies, including Pharsight and two software development companies.
- Shafer, SL; Siegel LC; Cooke JE; Scott JC. (February 1988). "Testing computer-controlled infusion pumps by simulation". Anesthesiology. 68 (2): 261–6. doi:10.1097/00000542-198802000-00013. PMID 3341578.
- Shafer, A; Doze VA; Shafer SL; White PF. (1988). "Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propofol infusions during general anesthesia". Anesthesiology. 69 (3): 348–356. doi:10.1097/00000542-198809000-00011. PMID 3261954.
- Community Academic Profile, Stanford University, retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Businessweek Executive Profile: Steven Shafer, MD".
- "Steven Shafer, PhD". UCSF Directory. University of California at San Francisco. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "Conrad Murray Trial: Dr. Steven Shafer Takes The Stand". Huffington Post. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Lovett, Ian (25 October 2011). "Prosecution Rests in the Manslaughter Trial of Michael Jackson's Physician". The New York Times. p. 21. Retrieved 19 April 2013.