|Born||March 23, 1986|
New York City, U.S.
(m. 2007; div. 2013)
Strait was born and raised in Greenwich Village, a neighborhood of Manhattan, New York, the son of Jean (née Viscione) and Richard Dyer Strait. His ancestry is Dutch and Italian. He attended Village Community School, Xavier High School and took classes at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting.
During his teen years, Strait modeled for several magazines, including L'uomo Vogue, Spoon magazine, Details, Surface, Hollister Co., and Pop magazine, and worked with photographers Bruce Weber, Herb Ritts, and Ellen von Unwerth.
Strait began taking acting lessons at the age of eleven. In the sixth grade, he began to take performing classes at the Village Community School. Although forced into it at first, he found a passion for acting after he performed live for the first time. He has worked at both the Stella Adler Acting Studio and the Black Nexxus Acting Studio in New York City.
In 2004, he moved to California to pursue a career in acting. After his first audition, he received an acting job, and in 2005, he appeared in his first film, Sky High, where he played a teenage superhero named Warren Peace. He covered The Fixx's song "One Thing Leads to Another" for the film's soundtrack.
His next film starring role was in Undiscovered, about young singers and actors in the entertainment industry who want to become stars. In 2006, he starred as Caleb Danvers in the supernatural thriller film The Covenant, which opened on September 8. Strait appeared opposite Camilla Belle in 10,000 BC, a film about prehistoric Earth, released in March 2008. He played a young mammoth hunter, D'Leh, as he travels through unknown lands on a quest to rescue his people from slavery.
In November 2010, he guest starred on the NBC series Chase as Jackson Cooper, a fugitive with a dark past who manipulates his teenage girlfriend with promises of freedom from her father and a life filled with romance and adventure.
From 2012 to 2013, Strait co-starred on the Starz series Magic City, which centered on Miami mobsters and other characters from Miami Beach in the late 1950s. Strait played the son of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character, Ike Evans.
In 2014, Strait was cast in the lead role of James "Jim" Holden in the science fiction series The Expanse, which began airing in December 2015 on SyFy. After two successful seasons, The Expanse began filming the third season on July 12, 2017. The third season aired in 2018 on SyFy; it was to be the show's final season, but due to overwhelming fan support and a petition with over 100,000 signatures, the show was picked up by Amazon (whose founder Jeff Bezos was a personal fan of both the books and the show) and renewed, with clear plans to continue adapting the book series beyond that fourth season.
|2005||Sky High||Warren Peace|
|2006||The Covenant||Caleb Danvers|
|2009||City Island||Tony Nardella|
|2013||Sleeping with the Fishes||Dominic Sebastiani|
|2016||Extra Credit and Arthur Darks||Arthur Darks|
|2001||Third Watch||Teenage Bobby||Episode: "Requiem for a Bantamweight"|
|2010||HMS||Jonathan David||Unsold CW pilot|
|2010||Chase||Jackson Cooper||Episode: "Crazy Love"|
|2012–13||Magic City||Steven "Stevie" Evans||Main role; 16 episodes|
|2014||Revenge||Brooks||Episodes: "Struggle", "Disgrace"|
|2015–present||The Expanse||James Holden||Main role; 56 Episodes|
- Xavier High School. "March 2010 Alumnews". Issuu.
- "Steven Strait". models.com. Archived from the original on 2011-01-16.
- "INT: Strait / Stan".
- Jeff Vice (9 September 2006). "Film review: Covenant, The". DeseretNews.com.
- "10,000 BC: Emmerich's hardest film yet". CNN.
- "City Island". 22 July 2010. Archived from the original on 18 September 2012.
- "Magic City Official Site - STARZ". Starz.com. Archived from the original on 2013-04-11.
- "Steven Strait Talks AFTER and MAGIC CITY Season 2". Collider. 15 September 2012.
- "After (2012)". Dread Central.
- Eisner, Breck (July 12, 2017). "A small tradition for me is to raise a flag over the set on first shoot day. Today was day 1 of season 3 #TheExpanse". Twitter. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- "What's Shooting?". ACTRA Toronto. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- "The Tribe". Myspace.
- "Undiscovered – Original Soundtrack". AllMusic. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Gelt, Jessica (September 9, 2009). "Supper Club, where dining is a class act". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February 4, 2011.
Other sun-soaked Hollywood guests included actress Lynn Collins ('True Blood' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine') and her husband, actor Steven Strait....
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steven Strait.|