Steven T. Miller
|Steven T. Miller|
|Born||c. 1956 (age 59 or 60)|
|Education||B.A., University of Maryland
Juris Doctor, George Washington University
Master of Laws in Taxation Georgetown University Law School
|Title||Former Commissioner of Internal Revenue|
|Predecessor||Douglas H. Shulman|
Steven T. Miller (born c. 1956) was the acting Commissioner of Internal Revenue from 2012 to 2013.
He has Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Maryland, a Juris Doctor degree from George Washington University, and a Master of Laws degree in taxation from Georgetown University Law School.
During his career at the IRS he was acting Assistant Commissioner and Special Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner, Employee Plans/Exempt Organizations; Commissioner of the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division; Commissioner of the Large Business and International Division; and Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement.
Miller became acting IRS commissioner on November 9, 2012, the day after Barack Obama was elected to a second term when Doug Shulman stepped down saying he did not want a second five-year term. Miller submitted his resignation on May 15, 2013, in the wake of the 2013 IRS scandal in which the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration released an audit report confirming that the IRS used inappropriate criteria to identify potential political cases, including organizations with Tea Party in their names for closer scrutiny on 501(c)(4) applications.
He later joined the tax advisory firm alliantgroup as national director of tax.
- "Acting Commissioner of Internal Revenue Steven T. Miller". Irs.gov. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "Appointments and Resignations - Acting Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS): Who Is Steven Miller? - AllGov - News". AllGov. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration Michael McKenney, Acting Deputy Inspector General for Audit (14 May 2013). "Inappropriate Criteria Were Used to Identify Tax-Exempt Applications for Review". Department of the Treasury. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 25, 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Strauss, Daniel (2013-05-15). "Top Dem tax-writer Levin calls for IRS officials to resign - The Hill's Video". Thehill.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "John Cornyn Calls on IRS Commissioner Steven Miller to Resign". Kfyo.com. 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- The Associated Press (2013-05-15). "Sen. Hatch calls for IRS commissioner to resign". Heraldextra.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "Sander Levin: Steven Miller should resign from IRS - Kelsey Snell". Politico.Com. 2013-05-15. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
|Commissioner of Internal Revenue