Steven Turnbull (rugby union)
|Full name||Steven Turnbull|
|Date of birth||10 April 1987|
|Height||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight||119 kg (262 lb)|
|School||Dunblane High School
|Rugby union career|
Steven Turnbull (born 10 April 1987) is a former Scottish rugby union player who played for Edinburgh Rugby in the RaboDirect Pro12 from 2008 until 2013. On 20 June 2013 Turnbull announced his retirement from rugby following a knee injury.
Steven Turnbull joined Edinburgh as a full-time professional during the summer of 2008 after graduating from the National Academy. He made his debut two years previously as a replacement in the draw with Connacht in the Magners League match in Galway in September, and his first start followed two months later against Cardiff Blues at Murrayfield.
Turnbull formed an ever-present lock partnership with Richie Vernon in Scotland's four under-19 internationals in season 2005–06, before going on to play in four matches in the age group's world championship in Dubai. He added to his international honours by playing in the under-20 match against England at Bath in February 2007. Injury prevented his participation in other shadow Six Nations matches until the final game against France in March 2007. He had previously played for Caledonia under-16 and under-18 and Scotland under-18A and under-18, and he also represented his country at basketball in the under-16 and under-18 groups.
A former pupil of Dunblane High School and Strathallan School, Turnbull put his studies in sport and exercise science at Napier University on hold during his apprenticeship. He was named Scotland Under-19 Player of the Year at the Scottish Rugby Awards Dinner in May 2006.
- "Steven Turnbull". Edinburgh Rugby. 2011. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Edinburgh trio extend stay at Murrayfield". BBC. 20 October 2011. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Rugby: James King and Steven Turnbull handed starting roles for Edinburgh". The Scotsman. 21 April 2012. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Steven Turnbull calls time on rugby career". Edinburgh Rugby. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Injury forces Edinburgh's Steven Turnball to retire". BBC. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.