Stewart–Treves syndrome, also known as cutaneous angiosarcoma, refers to a lymphangiosarcoma, a rare complication that forms as a result of chronic, long-standing lymphedema. Although it most commonly refers to malignancies associated with chronic lymphedema resulting from mastectomy and/or radiotherapy for breast cancer, it may also describe lymphangiosarcomas that result from congenital and other causes of chronic secondary lymphedema. Lymphangiosarcoma arising from cancer-related lymphedema has become much less common with better surgical techniques, radiation therapy, and conservative treatment. The prognosis, even with wide surgical excision and subsequent radiotherapy, is poor.
The treatment of choice is a large resection or amputation of the affected limb. Radiation therapy can precede or follow surgical treatment. Tumors that have advanced locally or have metastasized can be treated with mono or polychemotherapy, systemically or locally. However, chemotherapy and radiation therapy have not been shown to improve survivorship significantly.
Early detection is key. Untreated patients usually live 5 to 8 months after diagnosis.
- Postcardiotomy syndrome
- List of cutaneous conditions
- James, William D.; Berger, Timothy G.; et al. (2006). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: clinical Dermatology. Saunders Elsevier. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- Sharma, A; Schwartz, RA (June 2012). "Stewart-Treves syndrome: Pathogenesis and management.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 67 (6): 1342–8. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2012.04.028. PMID 22682884.
- Kumar MBBS MD FRCPath, Vinay (2010). Robins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease 8th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier. p. 1093. ISBN 978-1-4160-3121-5.
- Pincus LB, Fox LP (August 2008). "Images in clinical medicine. The Stewart-Treves syndrome". N. Engl. J. Med. 359 (9): 950. doi:10.1056/NEJMicm071344. PMID 18753651.
- Heitmann, C; Ingianni, G (January 2000). "Stewart-Treves syndrome: lymphangiosarcoma following mastectomy.". Ann Plast Surg. 44 (1): 72–5. doi:10.1097/00000637-200044010-00012. PMID 10651369.
- Wierzbicka-Hainaut, E; Guillet, G (December 2010). "[Stewart-Treves syndrome (angiosarcoma on lyphoedema): A rare complication of lymphoedema]". Presse Med. 39 (12): 1305–8. doi:10.1016/j.lpm.2010.06.017. PMID 20970956.