Stewart Manor, New York
Stewart Manor, New York
|Incorporated Village of Stewart Manor|
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|Named for||Stewart Manor station; Alexander Turney Stewart|
|• Total||0.20 sq mi (0.52 km2)|
|• Land||0.20 sq mi (0.52 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||9,861.39/sq mi (3,803.21/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0966409|
Stewart Manor had been called Sunrise Gardens between 1925 and 1927, after a real estate development in the area. Residents changed the name to Stewart Manor in 1927. The name reflects the community's proximity to the Stewart Manor station on the Long Island Rail Road in the adjacent village, Garden City, which is named after Alexander Turney Stewart.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
This article needs to be updated.(April 2013)
At the 2000 census there were 1,935 people, 718 households, and 564 families in the village. The population density was 9,784.9 people per square mile (3,735.5/km2). There were 726 housing units at an average density of 3,671.2 per square mile (1,401.6/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 93.28% White, 1.76% African American, 1.91% Asian, 1.45% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.03%.
Of the 718 households 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.1% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 19.4% of households were one person and 10.6% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.10.
The age distribution was 23.2% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% 65 or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 84.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.6 males.
The median household income was $84,913 and the median family income was $97,922. Males had a median income of $67,031 versus $41,042 for females. The per capita income for the village was $35,371. About 1.9% of families and 2.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
Stewart Manor is located primarily within the boundaries of the Elmont Union Free School District (K-6) and the Sewanhaka Central High School District (7-12), although the street in the village called Fernwood Terrace is split between Garden City Union Free School District, as well as the Franklin Square UFSD (the latter of which feeds into the Sewanhaka CHSD). As such, children who reside within the village and attend public schools go to school in one of these districts.
- Sal Paolantonio (born 1956), Philadelphia-based bureau reporter for ESPN, who primarily reports on NFL stories.
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2022.
- The History of Stewart Manor (PDF). Incorporated Village of Stewart Manor, New York.
- Winsche, Richard (October 1, 1999). The History of Nassau County Community Place-Names. Interlaken, New York: Empire State Books. ISBN 978-1557871541.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Long Island Index: Interactive Map". www.longislandindexmaps.org. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
- "ESPN's Sal Paolantonio Earns Suny Honor, Will Deliver Commencement Speech at Suny Oneonta", readMedia.com, April 12, 2013. Accessed January 11, 2018. "Paolantonio grew up in Stewart Manor, Long Island, and attended Sewanhaka High School in Floral Park, N.Y."