Stewart S-51D Mustang
|National origin||United States|
|First flight||30 March 1994|
|Number built||At least 19|
US$64,000.00 (standard kit, 1998)
|Developed from||North American P-51D Mustang|
The Stewart S-51D Mustang is an American aerobatic homebuilt aircraft that was designed by Jim Stewart and produced by Stewart 51 of Vero Beach, Florida, introduced in 1994. When it was available the aircraft was supplied as a kit for amateur construction.
Design and development
Designer Jim Stewart took a leave of absence from his employer, Pratt & Whitney in 1989 to work on the S-51D's tooling and design. The prototype took flight on 30 March 1994 and by late in June of the same year had completed its 40 hours of test flying.
The aircraft is made from sheet aluminum. Its 26.00 ft (7.9 m) span wing mounts flaps and has a wing area of 123.0 sq ft (11.43 m2). The cabin width is 21 in (53 cm). The acceptable power range is 300 to 600 hp (224 to 447 kW). The specified propeller is a 91 in (2.31 m) diameter, constant speed four-bladed Hartzell Propeller unit, that is driven by a spur gear with a (2.13:1) reduction ratio.
The S-51D Mustang has a typical empty weight of 2,200 lb (1,000 kg) and a gross weight of 3,000 lb (1,400 kg), giving a useful load of 800 lb (360 kg). With full fuel of 70 U.S. gallons (260 L; 58 imp gal) the payload for the pilot, passenger and baggage is 380 lb (170 kg).
The standard day, sea level, no wind, take off with a 400 hp (298 kW) engine is 1,080 ft (329 m) and the landing roll is 1,800 ft (549 m).
The manufacturer estimated the construction time from the supplied standard kit as 2000 hours. A fast-build kit was also available.
By 1998 the company reported that 72 kits had been sold and two aircraft were completed and flying.
Specifications (S-51D Mustang)
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 22 ft 0 in (6.71 m)
- Wingspan: 26 ft 0 in (7.92 m)
- Wing area: 123.0 sq ft (11.43 m2)
- Empty weight: 2,200 lb (998 kg)
- Gross weight: 3,000 lb (1,361 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 70 U.S. gallons (260 L; 58 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × liquid cooled eight cylinder, four stroke engine, 400 hp (300 kW)
- Propellers: 4-bladed Hartzell Propeller constant speed propeller
- Maximum speed: 275 mph (443 km/h; 239 kn)
- Cruise speed: 260 mph (226 kn; 418 km/h)
- Stall speed: 70 mph (61 kn; 113 km/h) flaps and landing gear down
- Range: 700 mi (608 nmi; 1,127 km)
- Service ceiling: 24,000 ft (7,315 m)
- G limits: +9/-4.5 (structural)
- Rate of climb: 2,780 ft/min (14.1 m/s)
- Wing loading: 24.4 lb/sq ft (119 kg/m2)
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, Fifth Edition, page 260. BAI Communications, 15 July 1998. ISBN 0-9636409-4-1
- Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. (2014). "Stewart S-51D Mustang". Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- Federal Aviation Administration (12 March 2014). "Make / Model Inquiry Results". Retrieved 12 March 2014.