Steyr HS .50
|Steyr HS .50|
Steyr HS .50
|Type||Anti Materiel Rifle/Sniper Rifle|
|Place of origin||Austria|
|Used by||See Users|
|Wars||Syrian Civil War|
HS .50 M1
|Specifications (HS .50)|
|Weight||12.4 kg (28.5 lbs)|
|Length||1,370 mm (54 inches)|
|Barrel length||833 mm (33 inches)|
|Effective firing range||2500 m – 1500 m|
|Feed system||Single shot|
Design and features
The Steyr HS .50 is a single-shot bolt-action rifle. It has a built-in magazine (on the right side of the gun) so each round has to be loaded directly into the ejection port and is pushed into the chamber by the bolt. The fluted barrel is cold hammer forged and provides excellent accuracy at an effective range up to 1,500 m. It has an adjustable bi-pod, a highly efficient muzzle brake which reduces recoil substantially to increase shooting comfort and a Picatinny rail for installation of various optics.
However, due to customer demand, a recent change to the HS .50 has included a 5-round detachable magazine that can be inserted on the left-hand side of the rifle much similar to the Denel NTW-20
The rifle is also available in the proprietary .460 Steyr round, developed for markets where ownership of the .50 BMG by private citizens is banned, but .46 rounds are not, such as California. The .460 caliber version is known as the HS .460.
HS .50 M1
The HS .50 M1 is an evolution of the HS .50. The biggest differences are: it is magazine fed from a five-round magazine feeding horizontally left from the receiver, has a longer top Picatinny rail and more Picatinny rails on the side, an adjustable cheekpiece, a newly designed fixable bipod, and a monopod at the buttstock.
- Argentina: Used by the Argentine Army.
- Cameroon
- Palestine: Used by Hamas and other groups in Gaza.
- Iran: A quantity of 800 rifles was purchased in 2006. Iran also produces an unlicensed version under the name AM-50 Sayyad.
- Iraq: used by the Shia militia.
- Mexico: Used by the Corp of Mexican Army Special Forces.
- Russia: Used by police forces and special forces.
- Syria: Iranian clone (Sayyad-2 / AM-50) used by Syrian armed forces. Syrian rebels also have acquired HS .460 through Turkey and other countries.
- Turkey: Used by the Turkish Land Forces
- الرمادي مقبرة الأعاد [Ramadi the "cemetery" of enemies] (in Arabic). Ramadi, Syria. May 2015. Event occurs at 12:36. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Iraqi insurgents using Austrian rifles from Iran – Telegraph
- Lenta.ru: Наука и техника: Спецподразделения МВД вооружатся австрийскими пистолетами (Russian)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steyr HS .50.|