St Vitus' Church
Location in (former) Leeuwarderadeel municipality
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Before 2018, the town was part of the Leeuwarderadeel municipality. The town hall of the municipality was located in Stiens.
Stiens was the main station on the North Friesland Railway. It opened in April 1901, with a branch to Harlingen opening in stages between December 1902 and May 1904. Closures of the railway include the following
- Direct service to Franeker in October 1933;
- Direct service to Harlingen in May 1935 and freight in January 1938;
- All other passenger services ceased in July 1936, but were reopened as far as Tzummarum and Dokkum-Aalsum in May 1940;
- The passenger service to Dokkum-Aalsum closed again in December 1940 and then it became permanently closed in October 1942;
- The final freight service from Stiens to Leeuwarden closed in 1997.
- Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2017 - CBS Statline
Media related to Stiens at Wikimedia Commons
|This Friesland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|