Stig H. Johansson
|Stig H. Johansson|
Stig H. Johansson in 2015
|Occupation||Trainer, former driver|
|Born||26 July 1945|
Forsa, Hälsingland, Hälsingland, Sweden
|Career wins||More than 7,000 as a trainer, 6,222 as a driver|
|Major racing wins|
|* indicates win as trainer only|
** indicates win as driver only
|Trainer of the Year (1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2005)|
Driver of the Year (2000)
|Trotting Hall of Fame (inducted in 2008)|
|Victory Tilly, Queen L., Peace Corps, Napoletano|
Digger Crown, The Onion, Utah Bulwark
Stig Henry Johansson (born 26 July 1945 in Forsa, Hudiksvall Municipality) is a Swedish trotting trainer and former driver. He started his career as a professional trainer in 1969, and has during a large part of the career been a dominating force in Swedish trotting. He is, arguably, the greatest in Swedish trotting history. Internationally, he is regarded as one of the sport's great. Among the horses he has trained are top trotters Victory Tilly, Queen L., Peace Corps, Napoletano, Digger Crown, The Onion and Utah Bulwark. Together with these and other horses, Johansson has won numerous major races, including Elitloppet (six times), Gran Premio della Lotteria (four times), Nat Ray Trot (once) and Prix d'Amérique (once).
In December 2005, Johansson announced his decision to quit driving races, but to continue train trotters. The same evening, he drove his last race. He won 6,222 races during 42 years as a driver.
Johansson has won more than 7,000 races as a trainer, second most in Swedish trotting history behind Olle Goop. In December 2008, Johansson passed SEK700 million (~US$87.1 million) won as a trainer.
- "Stig H Johansson lägger av". svt.se (in Swedish). 2005-12-28. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- Persson, Lennart (2005-12-28). "Vemod är ordet..." travnet.se (in Swedish). Travnet. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- Pettersson, Erik (2008-07-12). "Stig H Johansson invald i Hall of Fame". aftonbladet.se (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- Pettersson, Lars-Ove. "Drömmen att vinna Elitloppet kan man drömma flera gånger". travinorr.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2009-03-07.[permanent dead link]
- "Stig H. Johanssons makalösa karriär" (PDF). travsidan.nu (in Swedish). Retrieved 2009-03-07.
- Nilsson, Lars (2008-07-16). "Olle Elfstrand i exklusiv skara". vf.nu (in Swedish). Värmlands Folkblad. Retrieved 2009-03-08.[permanent dead link]
- According to the article, printed in July 2008, Johansson had 6,979 victories to his name by then. As of 2009-03-08, he has won 30 races as a trainer in 2009, which takes his total number of wins above 7,000. See 
- In the conversion from SEK to USD, the rates of 2008-12-17, the date of the event, have been used
- "700 miljoner inkört!". www.stigh.se (in Swedish). 2008-12-19. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stig H. Johansson.|