Education and career
Stenholm obtained an engineering degree at the Helsinki University of Technology (HUT), and a master of science degree in mathematics at the University of Helsinki, both in 1964. He then earned his Dr. phil. at Oxford in 1967 on the topic of quantum liquids under supervision of Dirk ter Haar.
From 1967 to 1968, he performed postdoctorate work at Yale University. He obtained his a position as professor at the University of Helsinki in 1974. In 1980, Stenholm was appointed as the scientific director of the Research Institute for Theoretical Physics (TFT). His colleague Kalle-Antti Suominen later affirmed: "As a director Stig was very broad-minded and without this the happy atmosphere of TFT could not have existed."
- Stig Stenholm: The Quest for Reality. Bohr and Wittgenstein – two complementary views, Oxford University Press, July 2011, ISBN 978-019960-358-9 (abstract)
- S. Stenholm, Kalle-Antti Suominen: Quantum Approach to Informatics, Wiley, 2005, ISBN 978-0471736103
- Stig Stenholm: The Foundations of Laser Spectroscopy, Wiley / Dover Books on Physics, 1984, ISBN 978-0486444987
- Stig Stenholm: The semiclassical theory of the gas laser, Pergamon Press, ISBN 978-0080164090, 1971
- Stig Stenholm, ScientificCommons
- Quantum complex systems: entanglemant and decoherence from nano- to macroscales - QUACS, Research Leader: Professor emeritus Stig Stenholm, KTH Research Projects Database