Stiga is a Swedish brand known for the production and international distribution of lawnmowers, a wide range of motorized garden tools, snowmakers, table tennis products and table hockey games. Stiga started the production of table tennis products in 1944. It started the production of table hockey games in 1957 and it was a huge success. The company started the production of lawnmowers in 1958. Stiga is currently selling both game/sport products and gardening tools. Stiga Table Tennis left the company in 1984, and so did Stiga Play in 2006. They still use the same brand name but are two different companies, Stiga Sports Ltd and Global Garden Products (GGP).
- 1934 March 6, 1934, Stig Hjelmquist founded in Tranås the company Firma Fabriksprodukter, that will later become Stiga.
- 1938 Production of the first articles that would make Stiga world famous: the table tennis products.
- 1938 The new company name Stigma, later on changed to Stiga, was founded.
- 1943 Stiga started to produce equipment for table tennis under their own management. Mainly it was so called complete games with rackets, net, attachment system and ball.
- 1949 Sees a change of name from Stigma to the current name Stiga.
- 1954 Stig Hjelmquist imported from US the first motorized lawn mowers with horizontally rotating blades. Already in the end of the 1950´s, Stiga was selling ride-on lawn mowers.
- 1957 Production of the first table hockey game.
- 1964 Own produced lawn mowers: 400 machines were produced every day.
- 1964 Production of the first battery-operated lawn mower.
- 1971 Stiga was established abroad and sales offices in London and Helsinki were opened.
- 1974 Stiga launches the first Park: Park 2000, a ride-on lawn tractor with frontal cutting deck that will revolutionize the grass cutting in the Nordic Countries.
- 1976 The 4th of June, his majesty Carl XVI Gustav inaugurated Stiga´s new factory of 18 000 m2 , and with its total of 34,000m2 it becomes the biggest factory in the Nordic countries, concerning manufacturing of motor driven lawn mowers.
- 1981 The company is reorganized to better reflect Stiga’s operations, creating three divisions: Sports, Gun and Garden.
- 1985 Introduction of the first lawn mower Multiclip using the Mulching technology.
- 1986 Stiga became the biggest manufacturer of lawn mowers in Europe, thanks to several new establishments and acquisitions of companies
- 1988 The first radio-controlled lawnmower is demonstrated at the opening of new premises.
- 1994 Stiga celebrates its 60th anniversary.
- 1994 Launch of the Stiga Garden Battery.
- 1995 A selection of Stiga lawnmowers are awarded the Swan label, indicating that the mowers meet the Nordic Council’s environmental criteria for materials, production and function.
- 1997 Stiga is represented in around 40 countries, including New Zealand, North America, South America and Eastern Europe.
- 1999 A new generation of the Park model is launched.
- 2000 Stiga merges with Castelgarden SpA and Alpina Professional & Garden SpA, both situated in Italy. The company’s expansion in Europe continues with the acquisition of Mountfield.
- 2004 4WD is introduced.
- 2007 Stiga launches Titan.
- 2012 Launch of the new Stiga Autoclip range of robotic lawn mowers.
- 2013 The new Stiga Villa 320/520 HST is launched and it is awarded for high design quality in the “Red Dot Award: Product Design 2013”.
- 2014 Stiga celebrates its 80th Anniversary.
- 2015 Stiga launches a new Park Pro, a complete range of 48 V battery products and the new Multiclip 47.
- 2016 Stiga launches the new Park with Quick Flip System; Voltage 80, a complete range of 80 V battery products; Twinclip and Autoclip 200 – the series of robot mowers.
Stiga is a premium brand of lawn mowers and of a wide range of powered garden equipment. The brand is part of the company GGP Group, a leading manufacturer of garden products in Europe and beyond. The company has its headquarter in Castelfranco Veneto, Treviso (Italy), and has 13 subsidiaries in Europe (Austria, Italy, Benelux, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Poland, Sweden, UK, Balkans). Stiga distributes and sells its products in over 70 countries around the world.
- Robot mowers
- Front mowers
- Lawn tractors
- Trimmers & Brushcutters
- Chain saws
- Hedge trimmers
- Chippers & Shredders
- Tillers & Scythe
- Battery Cordless Range
The brand Stiga is today used by the Swedish company Stiga Sports for the production of sports products, including table tennis, snowriders and table hockey. The brand Stiga started in 1938 the production of table tennis products and began making hockey games in 1944. Bengt Bandstigen founded the table tennis company BANDA in 1966, which later became STIGA Sports AB. In 1983 the company begun to sell STIGA table tennis products and year 2006 it acquired the STIGA Games division to the company.
- Official website
- Stiga Games - Games division
- GGP Group - GGP Group
- Table Tennis Stiga - Table Tennis Stiga