|Formation||c. AD 1816|
|Founder||Saint Gaspar Louis Bertoni|
|Type||Clerical Religious Congregation of Pontifical Right (for Men)|
|Headquarters||Via Mazzarino 16, 00184 Roma, Italy|
|416 members (312 priests) (2016)|
|Fr. Maurizio Baldessarri, C.S.S.|
The Congregation of the Sacred Stigmata (or Stigmatines for short) are a Latin Catholic Clerical Religious Congregation of Pontifical Right for Men.
The Stigmatines were founded on 4 November 1816 by Gaspar Bertoni in Verona, Italy. The first written Constitutions for the Congregation was based on the Constitutions of Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus.
The growth of the Community was slow, in 1905 Stigmatines went to the United States, and in 1910 they started activities in Brazil. For nearly two centuries, the Stigmatines worked in China, Thailand, the Philippines and various countries in Africa and Latin America.
In the year 2002, the Stigmatines settled in India.
In June 2018, the city council of Waltham, Massachusetts voted to take the forty-six acres owned by the Stigmatines by eminent domain, for the purpose of building a new high school. The site includes the Espousal Retreat Center, a conference center, and a retirement home for priests. Mayor Jeannette McCarthy stated that the property is valued at $25.4 million; the city is offering $18 million. A statement on the Stigmatines' website states, "No one is doubting or discounting the need for a new high school in Waltham. We just don't believe the City should be able to end our existence here in Waltham because it covets our land for its own use." As of September 2018, the congregation was contesting the seizure.
In 2012, they had 94 houses with 422 members, including 331 priests.
- the instruction of the Youth
- the preaching of retreats and popular missions
- the assistance in Clergy formation
- Andrea Meschi (2000—present)
Prelates from their ranks
- Stigmatines History, Rev. Joseph Henchey, CSS, Web-site dedicated to St. Gaspar Bertoni
- Fisher, Jenna. "Waltham City Council Votes To Take Stigmatine Property For HS", Waltham Patch, June 28, 2018
- Tetrault, Jacqueline. "Stigmatines vow to challenge Waltham's eminent domain seizure", The Pilot, August 16, 2018
- "Urgent Matter", Congregation of the Sacred Stigmata
- Congregation of the Sacred Stigmata
- Community Stimmatini de Sezano
- Congregation of Sacred Stigmata Sta. Cruz
|This Catholic Church–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|