Still Life (The Rolling Stones album)
||It has been requested that the title of this article be changed to Still Life (Rolling Stones album). Please see the relevant discussion on the discussion page. Do not move the page until the discussion has reached consensus for the change and is closed.|
|Live album by The Rolling Stones|
|Released||1 June 1982|
|Recorded||5–6 November, 25 November, 13 December, 18–19 December 1981
Overdubs: March–April 1982
|Producer||The Glimmer Twins|
|The Rolling Stones Live chronology|
Still Life is a live album by the Rolling Stones, released in 1982. Recorded during the band's American Tour 1981 in the latter portion of that year, it was released in time for their European Tour 1982 continuation the following summer.
The album cover is a painting by Japanese artist Kazuhide Yamazaki, whose work inspired the tour's stage design.
Release and reception
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The album was preceded by their cover of the Miracles' "Going to a Go-Go", which became a Top 30 hit in the United Kingdom and United States, while the follow-up single, "Time Is on My Side", reached the lower part of the UK charts.
Still Life was a commercial success, reaching #4 in the UK and #5 in the U.S., going platinum there, but was not critically well-received, being admonished for sounding too slick and lacking any rough edges expected in a Rolling Stones performance. Former Stones bassist Bill Wyman may agree: the album received only a brief and dismissive mention in the otherwise heavily detailed chronicle of his life with the band, Rolling with the Stones. Of particular chagrin to Stones fans was the fact that nearly half of the Hampton Coliseum rendition of "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" was edited out for the release.
All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted.
- Side one
- Intro: "Take the 'A' Train" (Billy Strayhorn) – 0:27 (Performed by Duke Ellington and His Orchestra)
- "Under My Thumb" – 4:18
- "Let's Spend the Night Together" – 3:51
- "Shattered" – 4:11
- "Twenty Flight Rock" (Eddie Cochran, Ned Fairchild) – 1:48
- "Going to a Go-Go" (William Robinson, Warren Moore, Robert Rogers, Marvin Tarplin) – 3:21
- Side two
- "Let Me Go" – 3:37
- "Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade) – 3:39
- "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" (Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong) – 5:23
- "Start Me Up" – 4:21
- "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" – 4:24
- Outro: "Star Spangled Banner" (Trad) – 0:48 (arranged and performed by Jimi Hendrix)
- The Rolling Stones
- Mick Jagger – lead vocals, guitar
- Keith Richards – guitar, backing vocals
- Ronnie Wood – guitar, backing vocals
- Charlie Watts – drums
- Bill Wyman – bass guitar
- Additional personnel
- Recorded by Bob Clearmountain and David Hewitt with the Record Plant Remote (New York)
- Mixed by Bob Clearmountain at Power Station Studios
- Front cover painting by Kazuhide Yamazaki
- Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk (original LP and 1998 remastered CD)
Charts and certifications
- Still Life at AllMusic
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 952. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.
- "Album Guide: The Rolling Stones". rollingstone.com. Archived from the original on 12 April 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Rolling Stones – Still Life" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Still Life" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – The Rolling Stones – Still Life" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Rolling Stones – Still Life". Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Still Life". Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Still Life". Hung Medien. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Rolling Stones | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "The Rolling Stones – Chart history" Billboard 200 for The Rolling Stones. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Canadian album certifications – The Rolling Stones". Music Canada. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "British album certifications – The Rolling Stones". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 11 June 2016. Enter The Rolling Stones in the field Search. Select Artist in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – The Rolling Stones". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 11 June 2016. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH