Still Walking (film)
|Directed by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Produced by||Yoshihiro Kato|
|Written by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Edited by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Box office||$3.26 million|
Still Walking (歩いても 歩いても Aruitemo aruitemo) is a 2008 Japanese film edited, written, and directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda. The film is a portrait of a family over roughly 24 hours as they commemorate the death of the eldest son. The film was widely praised by critics and won the Golden Astor for Best Film at the 2008 Mar del Plata International Film Festival.
The Yokoyama family come together every year to commemorate the death of the eldest son, Junpei, who drowned accidentally 15 years ago while saving the life of another boy. His father Kyohei, a retired doctor, and mother Toshiko are joined by their surviving son Ryota, who has recently married a widow with a young son, and their daughter Chinami, her husband and their children. The family experience nostalgia, humour, sadness and tension as memories are shared and ceremonies performed.
- Hiroshi Abe as Ryota Yokoyama
- Yui Natsukawa as Yukari Yokoyama
- You as Chinami Kataoka
- Kazuya Takahashi as Nobuo Kataoka
- Shohei Tanaka as Atsushi Yokoyama
- Susumu Terajima as Sushi deliverer
- Kirin Kiki as Toshiko Yokoyama
- Yoshio Harada as Kyohei Yokoyama
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2017)
Still Walking received wide acclaim from film critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 100% of 62 professional critics gave the film a positive review. In a Chicago Sun-Times review, Roger Ebert gave the work four stars and touted that Kore-eda is an heir of Yasujirō Ozu. Trevor Johnston of Sight & Sound wrote that "however one positions Still Walking in the firmament of Japan's cinematic achievements, one thing is sure: it belongs up there with the masters." The film won the Asian Film Award for Best Director, and was nominated for the Grand Prix of the Belgian Syndicate of Cinema Critics.
- List of films with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a film review aggregator website
- "Still Walking (2009)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- Ebert, Roger (August 26, 2009). "Still Walking". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Johnston, Trevor (February 2010). "Film of the Month: Still Walking". Sight & Sound. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Official site
- Still Walking on IMDb
- Still Walking at AllMovie
- Still Walking at Box Office Mojo
- Still Walking at Metacritic
- Still Walking at Rotten Tomatoes
- Still Walking: A Death in the Family an essay by Dennis Lim at the Criterion Collection
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|