|Comune di Stio|
Stio within the Province of Salerno
|• Mayor||Natalino Barbato|
|• Total||24.28 km2 (9.37 sq mi)|
|Elevation||675 m (2,215 ft)|
|• Density||35/km2 (91/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Paschal Baylon|
|Saint day||17 May|
Located in the middle of Cilento, and part of its national park, Stio is a hilltown near the springs of Alento river and the forest area of Pruno. The municipality borders with Campora, Gioi, Laurino, Magliano Vetere and Orria. It counts a single hamlet (frazione), that is the village of Gorga, 3 km far from it and with a population of 160.
The town is composed by the and medieval old town and spans, along the national highway SR 488, with two more recent areas: Via Amendola in the west, and Via Mazzini in the east. The upper area, named Piano del Rosario and composed by some scattered houses surrounded by a forest, is located above the village of Gorga.
- St. Paschal Church (18th century), located in the middle of the town
- The ncient St. Peter and Paul Church (11th century), located south of the old town.
- The Mill Valley (Italian: Valle dei Mulini), located outside the town.
- Raffaele Lettieri (1881–1957), politician and academic, born in Gorga
- Antonino Maria Stromillo (1786–1858), Catholic bishop, first one of the Diocese of Caltanissetta, born in Gorga
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Istat, Wikidata Q214195
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Source: Istat 2016
- History of Stio
- 40428 Stio on OpenStreetMap
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Gorga on italia.indettaglio.it
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Churches of Stio
- ‹See Tfd›(in Italian) Valle dei Mulini on parks.it
- See it:Raffaele Lettieri
- See it:Antonino Maria Stromillo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stio.|