August 19, 1982
Euclid, Ohio, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||246 lb (112 kg; 17 st 8 lb)|
|Reach||80.0 in (203 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Wrestling, Shoot Fighting, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Independence, Ohio|
|Team||Strong Style Fight Team|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling, 2003|
|Years active||2010–present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Cleveland State University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Stipe Miočić (/ /; born August 19, 1982) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) where he is the current UFC Heavyweight Champion. As of January 2, 2017, he is the #6 ranked fighter overall in the promotion. Miocic was nominated for the MMA fighter of the year award in 2016.He Has Also Been Nominated 3 Times For Knockout Of The Year 3 Times And Is The Only Fighter Ever To Be Nominated For Knockout Of The Year In His First Proffesional MMA Fight
Stipe Miočić was born and raised in Euclid, Ohio to Croatian parents. Miocic played baseball, football and wrestled while at Eastlake North High School. Miocic received interest from Major League Baseball teams during his collegiate years at Cleveland State University and Trevecca Nazarene University.
Mixed martial arts career
With a background of being a Cleveland Golden Gloves boxing champion and NCAA Division I wrestler at Cleveland State, Miocic began his MMA career by winning his first five fights by knockout. He then fought for NAAFS (an Ohio-based MMA promotion), where he won the NAAFS Heavyweight Championship by defeating Bobby Brents by submission after delivering numerous strong leg kicks.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On June 14, 2011, it was announced that Miocic had signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC.
Miocic was scheduled to face returning veteran Soa Palelei on June 15, 2013, at UFC 161. After an injury to UFC 161 headliner Renan Barao, the card was slightly reshuffled. Miocic was paired with Roy Nelson. Miocic defeated Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Miocic was expected to face Junior dos Santos on May 24, 2014, at UFC 173. However, the bout was shifted a bit and was expected take place a week later on May 31, 2014, at The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale. On May 5, 2014, dos Santos pulled out of the fight, citing a hand injury and was replaced by Fábio Maldonado. Miocic won the fight by TKO due to punches early in the first round and received a "Performance of the Night" bonus as well.
A rescheduled bout with dos Santos eventually took place as the main event at UFC on Fox 13 on December 13, 2014. Miocic lost the back-and-forth fight by unanimous decision. The performance earned both participants "Fight of the Night" honors.
Miocic faced Mark Hunt on May 10, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 65. Miocic won the one-sided fight via TKO in the fifth round. Miocic set a UFC record for the most strikes landed in a fight, outlanding Hunt 361 - 48 over the duration of the bout.
Miocic was expected to face Ben Rothwell on October 24, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 76. However, Miocic pulled out of the fight on October 13 citing injury. Subsequently, Rothwell was removed from the card the following day after the promotion deemed that a suitable opponent could not be arranged on short notice. In turn, Miocic was quickly rebooked and faced Andrei Arlovski in a title eliminator on January 2, 2016, at UFC 195. Miocic defeated Arlovski via TKO at 0:54 in the first round. The win also earned him his second "Performance of the Night" bonus award.
Miocic was briefly scheduled to replace the injured Cain Velasquez and fight Fabricio Werdum for the UFC Heavyweight Championship on February 6 at UFC Fight Night 82. On January 25, the day after this announcement, Werdum pulled out of the fight with a back injury scrapping the fight.
UFC Heavyweight Championship
Miocic eventually faced Werdum at UFC 198 on May 14, 2016. He caught Werdum with a short right hook counter while backpedaling away from a flurry of punches in the first round, earning the championship and giving Werdum his first defeat since June 2011. He was also awarded a Performance of the Night bonus.
On September 10, 2016, Miocic made his first title defense at UFC 203 against Alistair Overeem. Although he got knocked down early in the fight, he came back quickly and won via knockout in the first round. Both participants were awarded Fight of the Night honors.
By September 1985, Miocic's parents had divorced and his father had returned to Croatia.
Miocic played collegiate baseball and wrestled for NCAA Division I Cleveland State University.
He married Ryan Marie Carney on June 18, 2016, in Parma, OH.
Titles and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- UFC Heavyweight Championship (One time, current)
- One successful title defense
- Fight of the Night (three times) vs Stefan Struve, Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem
- Performance of the Night (three times) vs. Fábio Maldonado, Andrei Arlovski and Fabricio Werdum
- Knockout of the Night (one time) vs. Philip De Fries
- Most strikes landed in a single fight (361) vs. Mark Hunt
- North American Allied Fight Series
- NAAFS Heavyweight Championship (one time)
- Lineal MMA Heavyweight Champion (One time, current)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||16 wins||2 losses|
|Win||16–2||Alistair Overeem||KO (punches)||UFC 203||September 10, 2016||1||4:27||Cleveland, Ohio, United States||Defended the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–2||Fabrício Werdum||KO (punch)||UFC 198||May 14, 2016||1||2:47||Curitiba, Brazil||Won the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Performance of the Night.Knockout Of The Year Nominee|
|Win||14–2||Andrei Arlovski||TKO (punches)||UFC 195||January 2, 2016||1||0:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||13–2||Mark Hunt||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt||May 10, 2015||5||2:47||Adelaide, Australia||Knockout Of The Year Nomminee In Australia.|
|Loss||12–2||Junior dos Santos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic||December 13, 2014||5||5:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–1||Fábio Maldonado||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 Finale||May 31, 2014||1||0:35||São Paulo, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Gabriel Gonzaga||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||10–1||Roy Nelson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 161||June 15, 2013||3||5:00||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Loss||9–1||Stefan Struve||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||2||3:50||Nottingham, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||9–0||Shane del Rosario||TKO (elbows)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||2||3:14||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Philip De Fries||KO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||1||0:43||Omaha, Nebraska, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||7–0||Joey Beltran||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||6–0||Bobby Brents||Submission (leg kicks)||NAAFS: Fight Night in the Flats 7||June 4, 2011||2||4:27||Cleveland, Ohio, United States||Won the NAAFS Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||William Penn||KO (punch)||NAAFS: Caged Vengeance 9||April 16, 2011||1||2:23||Cleveland, Ohio, United States||NAAFS Heavyweight Title Eliminator.|
|Win||4–0||Gregory Maynard||TKO (punches)||NAAFS: Night of Champions 2010||December 4, 2010||2||1:43||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jeremy Holm||KO (punches)||NAAFS: Rock N Rumble 4||August 28, 2010||1||1:36||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Win||2–0||Paul Barry||TKO (punches)||Moosin: God of Martial Arts||May 21, 2010||2||1:32||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||1–0||Connor Birty||KO (Head Kick And Punches)||NAAFS: Caged Fury 9||February 20, 2010||1||0:17||Cleveland, Ohio, United States||Knockout Of The Year Nominee|
- "Stipe Miocic - MMA Fighter Page". tapology.com. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Stipe Miocic - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "After His Battle With Octagon Jitters, Stipe Miocic Eyes Chance to Shine". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- Mike Riordan (January 25, 2014). "UFC on Fox 10 Factgrinder: The Wrestling of Stipe Miocic". bloodyelbow.com.
- ufc.com – Stipe Miocic is American
- "UFC Fighter Rankings". ufc.com. 2014-10-06. Archived from the original on May 26, 2015.
- Chuck Yarborough (October 4, 2011). "Independence's Stipe Miocic eager for UFC debut Saturday in Houston". cleveland.com.
- "World MMA Heavyweight Scouting Report: #5 - Stipe Miocic". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "Stipe Miocic Signs Multi Fight Deal with UFC | NAAFS". Naafs.biz. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- Whitehead, Lee (July 20, 2011). "Joey Beltran Welcomes Octagon Rookie Stipe Miocic at UFC 136 in Houston". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC on FUEL TV 1". mmajunkie.com. December 21, 2011.
- Pisha, Ken (April 24, 2012). "UFC 146 All-Heavyweight Main Card Remains Intact, Despite Facelift". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- "Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic tapped UFC on FUEL TV 5 headliner in Nottingham". mmajunkie.com. June 15, 2012.
- Dave Doyle (2012-09-29). "UFC on Fuel TV 5 results: Stefan Struve stops Stipe Miocic". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- Staff (2012-09-29). "UFC on FUEL TV 5 bonuses: Pickett, Wiman, Struve, Miocic earn $40K awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Stipe Miocic meets newly signed Soa Palelei at UFC 161 in June heavyweight tilt". MMAJunkie.com. March 5, 2013.
- "Roy Nelson and Stipe Miocic Added to UFC 161 Card". TopMMANews.com. May 21, 2013.
- Staff (2013-11-20). "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Adam Hill (2014-03-03). "Dos Santos to fight Miocic at UFC 173". reviewjournal.com.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- mmajunkie staff (2014-04-07). "Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva shifts to UFC 175, dos Santos vs. Miocic headlines in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Junior dos Santos out of TUF Brazil 3 Finale vs. Stipe Miocic with injured hand". mmajunkie.com staff. 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2014-05-05.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-05-06). "Fabio Maldonado vs. Stipe Miocic headlines TUF: Brazil 3 Finale card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Staff (2014-05-31). "Stipe Miocic finishes Fabio Maldonado in 35 seconds at 'TUF: Brazil 3' Finale". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Staff (2014-05-31). "TUF Brazil 3 Finale bonuses: Miocic, Alves, Souza, Eddiva win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-31.
- Chuck Mindenhall (2014-09-17). "Stipe Miocic versus Junior dos Santos being discussed for December". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Brian Knapp (2014-12-13). "Junior dos Santos denies upset bid, decisions Stipe Miocic in UFC on Fox 13 Main Event". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- Gene Mrosko (2014-12-13). "UFC on Fox 13 bonuses: Junior dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic fight earns $50K". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- Neil Rooke (2012-02-16). "Mark Hunt vs. Stipe Miocic to Headline UFC's Adelaide Debut". combatpress.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-05-10). "UFC Fight Night 65 results: Stipe Miocic finally stops Mark Hunt in fifth round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-10.
- Damon Martin (2015-05-10). "Miocic brutalizes Hunt with most strikes in UFC history in fifth-round TKO". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-05-10.
- Staff (2015-05-10). "UFC Fight Night 65 post-fight facts: Stipe Miocic's 361 total strikes set UFC record". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-10.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-08-12). "Heavyweights Stipe Miocic and Ben Rothwell targeted for UFC Fight Night 76 in Dublin". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-10-13). "Stipe Miocic out of next week's UFC Fight Night 76 co-headliner with Ben Rothwell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-13.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-10-14). "Ben Rothwell removed from next week's UFC Fight Night Dublin card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-10-21). "Andrei Arlovski vs. Stipe Miocic set for co-main event of UFC 195". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-10-21.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-01-02). "UFC 195 results: Stipe Miocic tears through ex-champ Andrei Arlovski in 54 seconds". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Staff (2016-01-03). "UFC 195 bonuses: Robbie Lawler, Carlos Condit win obvious 'Fight of Night' award". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "Cain Velasquez out, Stipe Miocic meets Fabricio Werdum for heavyweight title", from MMAJunkie.com
- Kevin Iole (2016-01-26). "With heavyweight title fight off, UFC 196 is shifted to Fox Sports 1". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- Marcelo Alonso (2016-02-22). "Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic to headline UFC 198 in Brazil". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Matt Erickson (2016-05-15). "UFC 198 results: Stipe Miocic new heavyweight champ with 1-punch KO of Fabricio Werdum". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-05-14). "UFC 198 bonuses: Miocic, 'Jacare,' Trinaldo, Medeiros take home $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Danny Segura (2016-05-25). "Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem set for UFC 203 in Cleveland". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- Dave Doyle (2016-09-10). "UFC 203 results: Stipe Miocic wins thrilling brawl over Alistair Overeem". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-09-10). "UFC 203 bonuses: Miocic, Overeem, Andrade, Medeiros receive $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "UFC heavyweight Stipe Miocic is undefeated, but he knows there's a lot to learn / SBTV". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Stipe Miocic will be reunited with father at this weekend's UFC event", by FightersOnly.com
- "MMAjunkie's 'Fight of the Month' for December 2014"
- Breen, Jordan (Dec 24, 2015). "SHERDOG.COM'S 2015 BEATDOWN OF THE YEAR". Sherdog. Retrieved Dec 26, 2015.
|19th UFC Heavyweight Champion
May 14th, 2016 –Present