The Royal Institute of British Architects Stirling Prize is a British prize for excellence in architecture. It is named after the architect James Stirling, organised and awarded annually by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). The RIBA Stirling Prize is presented to "the architects of the building that has made the greatest contribution to the evolution of architecture in the past year." The architects must be RIBA members, but the building can be anywhere in the European Union. Stirling Prize laureates receive a stipend of GB£20,000.
The award was founded in 1996, and is considered to be the most prestigious architecture award in the United Kingdom. It is publicised as the architectural equivalent of the Booker Prize (literature) and Turner Prize (visual arts). The presentation ceremony is televised by Channel 4 and the prize is sponsored by the Architects' Journal. Six short-listed buildings are chosen from a long-list of buildings that have received a RIBA Award. These awards are given to buildings showing "high architectural standards and substantial contribution to the local environment".
In addition to the RIBA Stirling Prize, five other awards are given to buildings on the long-list. In 2015 they consist of: the RIBA National Award, the RIBA Regional Award, the Manser Medal, the Stephen Lawrence Prize and the RIBA Client of the Year Award.
For years prior to 1996, the award was known as the "Building of the Year Award".
Laureates and runners-up
As the "Building of the Year Award."
- 1987: St Oswald's Hospice, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 1991: Woodlea Primary School, Leyland, Lancashire
- 1993: Sackler Galleries, London
- 1994: Waterloo International railway station, London
- 1995: McAlpine Stadium, Huddersfield
- The Houghton Mifflin dictionary of biography, p.400
- The Architects' journal, vol.207, p.32
- Peter Murray and Robert Maxwell, Contemporary British architects, p.175
- Thompson, Max (2007-07-26). "Stirling Prize Shortlist". The Architects' Journal 226 (4): 10–13.
- Maggie's Centre press release 2009
- Heathcote, Edwin (2010-10-03). "Hadid finally wins Stirling Prize". Financial Times. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Daily Telegraph 2 October 2011
- Youngs, Ian. "Sainsbury Laboratory wins Stirling architecture prize". BBC. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- "Astley Castle wins Riba Stirling Prize for architecture". BBC News. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Riba Stirling Prize 2014: Liverpool Everyman Theatre wins". BBC News.
- "Riba Stirling Prize: Burntwood School wins award". BBC News.