|Associated acts||Dive, Absolute Body Control, Sonar|
Marc Verhaeghen originally formed Klinik in the early-to-mid 1980s; the exact date varies depending on the source. The group is normally described as one of the most influential Belgian industrial bands in history.
In 1985, Verhaeghen joined forces with two other bands, Absolute Body Control (with Dirk Ivens and Eric van Wonterghem), and "The Maniacs" (Sandy Nys) to form one "super group" "Absolute Controlled Clinical Maniacs". This rather unwieldy name was soon dropped in favour of the shorter name "The Klinik". Nys soon left the band to form "Hybryds", followed in 1987 by van Wonterghem, leaving The Klinik as the "classic" duo of Dirk Ivens and Marc Verhaeghen.
The Klinik soon made a name for themselves with their cold and harsh EBM sound and their live shows, where both Ivens and Verhaeghen performed with their heads wrapped in gauze, wearing long black leather coats. Ivens' hissing vocals and minimalist lyrics were complemented by Verhaeghen's synthesizer skills and distorted trombone playing. This however, did not last forever; after Time, an album neither member was fully pleased with, musical differences became too great, and they decided to go their separate ways. In a 2013 interview, Ivens said the due were moving in different directions musically, and that compromise between only two members was challenging.
Ivens concentrated on his own project Dive, and Verhaeghen continued as Klinik (dropping the definite article from the bandname at this point); sometimes as a solo project, sometimes with various other members.
Most Klinik members have also been active outside the band. Ivens has been in bands such as Absolute Body Control, Dive, Sonar, and Blok 57; Eric van Wonterghem played with Ivens in Absolute Body Control, and has later been part of or collaborating with bands such as Insekt, Monolith, Dive and Sonar. Sandy Nys formed Hybryds already around his departure in 1986, a project which is still active.
Verhaeghen has been involved in several projects outside Klinik, including Noise Unit (with Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber of Front Line Assembly), D.Sign (with Philippe and Eliane Fichot of Die Form), X10 (with Niki Mono, Marc Ickx of A Split-Second and Vidna Obmana), and Para (with his own wife Sabine Voss).
Ivens and Verhaeghen briefly reunited for a few concerts in 2003/2004, one of which was released as a CD in September 2004.
The band's first album in 22 years, Eat Your Heart Out, was released in a limited pressing of 150 black vinyl copies in April 2013.
- Marc Verhaeghen (1981–present)
- Dirk Ivens (1985–1991 and 2003–present)
- Eric van Wonterghem (1985–87)
- Sandy Nys (1985)
- Mark "Merlin" Burghgraeve (1981–82, 1995)
- Thorsten Stroth (1995)
- Tom Claes (1996)
- Stefan Mertes (1996)
- Nickanor (2002)
- Sabotage - LP (RIO 1985)
- Melting Close & Sabotage - DLP/CD (Antler 1987)
- Plague - LP (Antler 1987)
- Face to Face - CD/LP (Antler 1989)
- The Klinik Box Set - 3LP/DCD (Antler 1990; re-released on Hands Productions 2004)
- Time - LP/CD (Antler-Subway 1991)
- States - compilation LP/CD (Antler-Subway 1991)
- Braindamage - CD (Bootleg 1992)
- Contrast - CD (Antler 1992)
- Live - CD (1993)
- To the Knife - CD (Zoth Ommog 1995)
- Stitch - CD (Off Beat 1995)
- Awake - CD (Off Beat 1996)
- Blanket of Fog - CD (Off Beat 1998)
- End of the Line - compilation 4CD (Dependent 2001)
- Sonic Surgery - CD (Hands Productions 2002)
- Akhet - DCD (Hands Productions 2003)
- Dark Surgery - CD (Hands Productions 2004)
- Live at Wave-Gotik-Treffen 2004 - CD (Hands Productions 2004)
- Eat Your Heart Out - CD (Out Of Line 2013)
- The Klinik - compilation 8CD (Out Of Line 2014)
Singles and EPs
- Walking with Shadows - MLP (Auxilio De Cientos 1986)
- Pain and Pleasure - 12" (Antler 1986)
- Fear - 12" (Antler 1987)
- Fever - 12" (Antler 1989)
- Insane Terror/A Sign - 7" (1989)
- Black Leather - 12"/CD (Antler-Subway 1990)
- Touch - EP (1996)
- Melting Close - MLP (split LP with De Fabriek, 1986)
- Brain - EP/CD (split EP with Paracont, 1993)
- Gluttony (with Vidna Obmana) - CD (Hands Productions 2005)
- Greed (with Vidna Obmana) - CD (Hands Productions 2006)
- "The Klinik Profile". Bodybeats Productions. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- "The Klinik". Peek-A-Boo Music Magazine. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Carlsson, Johan (March 20, 2013). "The Klinik behind the bandages". Release Music Magazine. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Isacker, B. Van (April 27, 2013). "The Klinik eats your heart out and Dive gets compiled". Side-line News. Retrieved November 17, 2013.