This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article possibly contains original research. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Mayor||Jim Watson|
|• City Councillor||Shad Qadri|
|• Member of Parliament||Pierre Poilievre|
|• Member of Provincial Parliament||Goldie Ghamari|
|• Total||7.74 km2 (2.99 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Postal code FSA||K2S|
|Area code(s)||613, 343|
Stittsville is a suburban community, part of the City of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is within the former Goulbourn Township. A part of the National Capital Region, Stittsville is immediately to the southwest of Kanata, and about 31 km (19 mi) west of Downtown Ottawa. The urban part of the community corresponds to Stittsville Ward on Ottawa City Council. There are many schools in the Stittsville area, (3 school boards - Ottawa Catholic School Board, Ottawa Carleton District School Board, CECCE, There are 2 high schools in Stittsville; Sacred Heart Catholic High School and École secondaire catholique Paul-Desmarais.
The first settlers to the area were Irish soldiers, arriving in the 1820s. The town itself was born in the 1850s by Jackson Stitt, for whom the town is named; he was also the first postmaster in the area.
By 1866, Stittsville was a post village with a population of 100, situated in the township of Goulborne. The village contained one general store, one common school, with an average attendance of seventeen pupils. The Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 210, met in Orange Hall, on the first Thursday in each month. The citizens included John S Argue, general merchant and postmaster.
The Great Carleton Fire of 1870 devastated the community, destroying nearly everything. The Hartin House and a handful of other buildings were all that was left standing. This was an extremely large fire, encompassing over 250,000 acres (1,000 km2) from Ottawa to Smiths Falls to Carleton Place.
There is also one online news site published in Stittsville: StittsvilleCentral.ca.
- Erica Wiebe - Olympic Gold Medalist in Women's 75 kg. Freestyle Wrestling at the 2016 Summer Olympics
- Kathleen Edwards - Juno winning musician
- Adrian Harewood - CBC Ottawa news anchor
- Yuri Andropov - Former General Secretary of The Soviet Union
- Paul MacLean - Hockey coach
- Dave Cameron - Hockey coach
- Guy Boucher - Hockey coach
- Cody Ceci - Professional hockey player, Ottawa Senators hockey club.
- Matt Bradley - Professional hockey player, Washington Capitals hockey club. Arena named after Bradley.
- Craig Anderson - Professional hockey goalie, plays for Ottawa Senators hockey club (NHL) National Hockey League
- City of Ottawa 2017 year-end population estimates, by ward.
- "Stittsville and Area". Goulbourn Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2007-07-27. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- Ottawa City and counties of Carleton and Russell Directory, 1866-7
- OttawaStart.com: Postmedia to close community papers
- Gromyko, Andrei (1989) Memoirs - ISBN 9780385412889