Stockcross is a village in Berkshire, England. The village lies to the west of Newbury in the civil parish of Speen and the district of West Berkshire. Close to the cross-road in the middle of the village were the stocks hence the name Stock-Cross, which were removed in the early 1980s.
Stockcross has a small shop/post office/coffee shop . Sutton Hall is the busy village hall, hosting regular events from jumble sales to Christmas pantos to village get-togethers. It has a small Christian school.
Places of worship
It is the site of a brick-built church, St John's, erected and endowed by the vicar, the Rev. H. W. Majendie in 1839.
Hotel and pubs
'The Vineyard' is a 5 star hotel on the edge of the village that has a spa and restaurant. The restaurant previously held two Michelin stars, although these were removed when Executive Chef John Campbell left for Dorchester's Coworth Park. Robby Jenks is now Head Chef. The Vineyard was described as "a palace of naffness" by the late restaurant critic Michael Winner.
The village has a pub The Rising Sun, a free house serving ales from the region. It is in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2017. A second pub was originally called the Nags Head but the name was changed to the Lord Lyon after a racehorse, leased by local landowner Richard Sutton that in 1866 won both the 2000 Guineas and Epsom Derby. The pub is tied to Arkell's Brewery who put the building up for sale in late 2015 and closed the pub in January 2016.
- "Speen Information". Speenpc.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-07-04. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- http://www.heyfordian.travel/timetables/heyfordian_4.pdf[permanent dead link]
- A Church Near You (2013-01-30). "Stockcross: St John, Stockcross - Berkshire | Diocese of Oxford". Achurchnearyou.com. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "The Vineyard Hotel, Berkshire, Newbury | 5 star luxury country house hotel | Fine dining restaurant". The-vineyard.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- Harper's Bazaar Staff (11 August 2010). "Vineyard at Stockcross, Berkshire". Bazzar.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stockcross.|
|This Berkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|