|Coordinates: 34°03′52″N 77°33′12″E / 34.06441°N 77.553344°ECoordinates: 34°03′52″N 77°33′12″E / 34.06441°N 77.553344°E|
|Elevation||3,497 m (11,473 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|2011 census code||862|
Stok is a village in the Leh district of Ladakh, India. It is located in the Leh tehsil, in the Indus Valley 17 km southeast of the Leh town.
The village is home to the 14th century Stok Monastery, with its 71 feet (22 m) high seated Gautama Buddha statue, constructed between 2012–2015 and consecrated by the Dalai Lama on 8 August 2016.
Stok's 19th century palace is the current residence of the former royal family of Ladakh. Within the palace, a museum contains the shrine, crown, ceremonial dress and jewellery of the Ladakhi king.
Stok Kangri (6,153 metres (20,187 ft)) sits at the head of the Stok Chu river valley.
Siddhartha School is located at the northernmost edge of the village.
Stok is located at 34°04′N 77°34′E / 34.07°N 77.57°E. It has an average elevation of 3,364 metres (11,037 ft).
According to the 2011 census of India, Stok has 300 households. The effective literacy rate (i.e. the literacy rate of population excluding children aged 6 and below) is 73.79%.
|Children aged below 6 years||151||72||79|
|Main workers (total)||529||345||184|
|Main workers: Cultivators||209||136||73|
|Main workers: Agricultural labourers||2||1||1|
|Main workers: Household industry workers||6||6||0|
|Main workers: Other||312||202||110|
|Marginal workers (total)||60||44||16|
|Marginal workers: Cultivators||24||17||7|
|Marginal workers: Agricultural labourers||5||2||3|
|Marginal workers: Household industry workers||1||1||0|
|Marginal workers: Others||30||24||6|
- ^ "Blockwise Village Amenity Directory" (PDF). Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- ^ Mary Loosemore. "Information Board at the Gautama Buddha statue and temple, Stok Gompa". www.flickr.com. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- ^ "Stok Palace". www.lonelyplanet.com. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- ^ Kucharski, Radek (2012). Trekking in Ladakh (1st ed.). Cicerone. p. 86. ISBN 978 1 85284 675 6.
- ^ "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc – Stok". www.fallingrain.com. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- ^ a b "Leh district census". 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations. Retrieved 23 July 2015.