Stone (Alice in Chains song)
|Single by Alice in Chains|
|from the album The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here|
|Released||March 26, 2013|
|Genre||Alternative metal, doom metal|
|Producer(s)||Nick Raskulinecz, Alice in Chains|
|Alice in Chains singles chronology|
"Stone" is the second single by American rock band Alice in Chains from their 2013 album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. The song reached the top of the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. A music video has been released for the song. According to Graham Hartmann writing for Loudwire, "the new single [...] has its fair share of sludge [...], further delving into a dark and unnerving side of alternative rock and atmospheric metal."
"Stone" video was directed by Robert Schober (aka Roboshobo), who directed their previous music video, "Hollow". The video features the band playing on a rocky hill and people carrying stones using baskets, carts, and rolling boulders uphill. Once they are unable to proceed, they stop and become stones, which then shatter.
Singer-guitarist Jerry Cantrell came up with the song's riff whilst recovering from surgery to repair his damaged shoulder cartilage. He told Ultimate-Guitar.com: "My arm was f--ked up and I couldn't play guitar so I just hummed that riff into a phone and that's how that song came to be. When I could play a little bit and we were going through riffs, I remember doing some riffs with Paul Figueroa, our engineer. I'm like, 'Wait a minute, I got a good one, man. Check this out.' I started f--kin' playing it to him and it was me singing into the f--kin' phone. I'm like, 'Dude, this riff is killer. Give me a guitar and I'll f--kin' work it out.' So that song I actually came up with just off a voice message on a phone. I didn't even have a guitar; I just f--kin' hummed it into the phone." The brooding song includes the lyric: "What makes you want to carve your initials in me? . . . Find me distant, outwardly rough obscene." Singer William DuVall explained to The Los Angeles Times: "It seems to be about confronting outside misperceptions. You think you know me? You don't." 
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||1|
|US Rock Airplay (Billboard)||11|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||37|
- Hartmann, Graham (March 25, 2013). "Alice in Chains Release New Single 'Stone'". Loudwire. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Trust, Gary (June 13, 2013). "Chart Moves: Cassadee Pope Debuts On Hot 100, Hot Country Songs; Alicia Keys Reaches Adult R&B Milestone; The Lone Bellow Adds Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Songfacts. "Stone By Alice In Chains". Songfacts. Retrieved March 25. Check date values in:
- "Alice in Chains - Rock Airplay". Billboard. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Alice in Chains - Chart History - Rock Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
|This metal song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|