Stone Cold Sober
|"Stone Cold Sober"|
|Single by Paloma Faith|
|from the album Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?|
|B-side||"I Just Wait"|
|Released||15 June 2009|
|Producer(s)||Patrick Byrne and Blair Mackichan|
|Paloma Faith singles chronology|
"Stone Cold Sober" is the debut single by English recording artist Paloma Faith from the album Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? (2009). It is not to be confused with the Rod Stewart sing of the same name which was the B-Side to Stewart's #1 Single Sailing. It was released on 15 June 2009 and entered the UK chart at number 17.
The theme of the song is the predicament of appearing to be one thing and actually being quite another. Faith told Q July 2009 about the Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? album: "My vocal style suits the subject matter of my album. It's about the human condition, the constant striving for love and companionship. I've thrown my heart at many a wrong man in my time, I can't tell you. I'm the queen of tragedy. Melancholy informs everything I do."
Digital Spy gave the song 4/5 stars and a positive review stating: 'Stone Cold Sober' makes the most of her theatrical background. Sure, it's another slice of post-Winehouse retro-pop, but it's more interesting that most tunes of that ilk, partly because it's a got a chorus you could quite easily do the can-can to, and partly because Faith gives it more sass than a backchatting teenager. Maybe a spell in the circus should be compulsory for all pop wannabes?
BBC Chart Blog gave the song a mixed review with 3/5 stars: 'Stone Cold Sober' is more of an uptempo rockin' raveup than it is an old school soul resurrection (with desperate lyrics, let us not forget), there are a LOT of little clues scattered through this endeavour which suggest Paloma is being sold as a sequel to a very successful franchise.
"Stone Cold Sober" had moderate success throughout the charts, being most successful in the UK, peaking at number 17 and spending three weeks in the chart. The song peaked at number 70 in Germany, 45 in Australia, 36 in Switzerland and number 30 in New Zealand.
- Digital download
|1.||"Stone Cold Sober"||2:56|
|2.||"I Just Wait"||4:48|
|Australia (ARIA Physical Singles Chart)||45|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||84|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||70|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||30|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||10|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||36|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||17|
|United Kingdom||15 June 2009|
|Germany||11 September 2009|
- "Paloma Faith: 'Stone Cold Sober'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "BBC - Chart Blog: Paloma Faith - 'Stone Cold Sober'". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Paloma Faith - Stone Cold Sober video". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Faith,Paloma - - - musicline.de". musicline.de. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "The ARIA Report" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). 17 August 2009. p. 7. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Paloma Faith – Stone Cold Sober" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Paloma Faith – Stone Cold Sober". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Charts.org.nz – Paloma Faith – Stone Cold Sober". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Paloma Faith – Stone Cold Sober". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- Songfacts Song Info
- Guardian.co.uk - Music: New band of the day – Paloma Faith
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics