Stone Paper (also traded as Modestone, Rock Paper, Paper from Waste Marble, Mineral Paper, Rich Mineral Paper, Sustainable Paper or Eco Paper) is a type of strong, and durable paper-like product manufactured from calcium carbonate bonded with high-density polyethylene (HDPE). It is used for stationery, leaflets, posters, books, magazines, bags, packaging, wallpaper, adhesives, tags, in-mould labels, plates, trays, containers and many other uses.
The process for creating Stone Paper was first developed by Taiwan Lung Meng Tech Co. in Taiwan during the late 1990s. Stone Paper has been patented in over 40 countries, where its products are marketed under a variety of other trade names such as Modestone, GPA UltraGreen, MIST Paper, Parax Paper, Terraskin, ViaStone, Kampier, CleanSlate, EmanaGreen and Rockstock, Pixz Printing, KYStone Paper and Nu Stone.
Stone Paper has a density range of 1.0-1.6g/cm3, which is equal to, or slightly higher than ordinary paper, and a texture somewhat like that of the outer membrane of a boiled egg. It may be recycled with Number 2 plastics or remade into Rich Mineral Paper again, and is not biodegradable but is photo-degradable and compostible under commercial conditions. It is suitable for stationery, bags, packaging, adhesives, greaseproof paper, wrappers, containers and many other applications.
The when defined as?] have a number of advantages over traditional paper made from wood pulp. Stone Paper collects no static charge, is acid-free with a neutral pH, has no grain, is water, grease, and insect resistant, and tears with difficulty due to a latex-like texture.[
Because it is not made from fibers, Stone Paper possesses a smoother surface than most traditional paper products, obviating the need for a coating or lamination. The source of the calcium carbonate is waste material collected from marble quarries and offcuts which are ground and reduced to fine white calcium carbonate powder. The production of Stone Paper uses no water, acid, bleach or optical brighteners. Stone Paper is compatible with inkjet or solid ink printers e.g. Offset, Letterpress, gravure, flexographic, but does not respond well to very high temperature laser printers.
- The making of maps, charts, field notebooks and waterproof journals that will resist tearing and stains and will not collapse in contact with water.
- Manufacturers' tags and labels that will stand up to deliberate mutilation or normal wear and tear
- Posters, banners and outdoor signs which will withstand weathering
- Manuals that will survive rough handling and constant use
- Packaging and wrapping which will only rip with difficulty
- Shopping and garbage bags that are durable
- Underwater diving notepads which are fully waterproof
- "About Us". Taiwan Lung Meng Technology Corporation Limited. Retrieved Dec 28, 2013.
- "Paper Made From Stone". Kampier.com. 2005-11-30. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "A revolutionary new paper made from stone". Stone-Paper. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "What is Stone Paper?". LockerGnome. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "ParaxPaper.co.uk". ParaxPaper.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Rockstock.net.nz". stonepaper.co.nz. Retrieved 2014-01-10.