Steinfeld, South Australia
St Stephen's Lutheran Church, Steinfeld
|LGA(s)||Mid Murray Council and Regional Council of Goyder|
Steinfeld (formerly Stonefield) is a locality in South Australia on the plains east of the Mount Lofty Ranges, and north of the Sturt Highway. The village of Steinfeld was established in the 19th century. It was renamed to Stonefield in 1918 as many places with German or German-sounding names were changed around World War I. The name reverted to Steinfeld in 1986.
The Steinfeld Lutheran congregation was established in 1882, and met in a home until it built its own building in 1890. The congregation met in this building until November 2016. A Lutheran school existed from the 1880s until 1917, when it was forcibly closed by the state government as a result of World War I. It was replaced by a public school in 1917, which operated until 1969. German was the predominant language in the area of the early days of the school, which posed challenges for teachers dealing with children with a poor grasp of English.
In 1945, it was reported that the Automobile Association had erected signs on the Blanchetown–Truro road (now the Sturt Highway) indicating that one of the nearest public telephones was at Stonefield.
The main part of the bounded locality now known as Steinfeld, including the original village, is in the Mid Murray Council. The northwestern corner of the locality is in the Regional Council of Goyder. That corner is also in the federal Division of Grey, rather than the Division of Barker like the rest of the locality.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Steinfeld, South Australia.|
- "Placename Details: Steinfeld". Property Location Browser. 9 August 2006. SA0063130. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Edwin A. Krollig. Krollig Family History 1844-1977. 205 Halifax Street, Adelaide, SA, 78-1: Lutheran Publishing House. p. 79. ISBN 0 9595860 0 8.
- "St Stephen's Lutheran Church Stonefield". Lutheran Church Of Australia. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Congregations". Mid Murray Lutheran Parish. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
St Stephens, Stonefield: Sadly the St Stephens Church was closed on Sunday November 27th, 2016. Attended by the SA/NT District Bishop David Altus, members of the Mid Murray Parish, past members & friends and the surrounding community. The sermon was based on the painted text on the front wall, Psalm 119:105.
- Dreckow, Betty (1986). Hills, Valley and Plains: History of the Eudunda District. p. 153.
- "Advertising". The Leader. 27 (1406). South Australia. 15 November 1945. p. 3. Retrieved 10 October 2016 – via National Library of Australia.