Stoney End (song)
|Single by Peggy Lipton|
|B-side||"San Francisco Glide"|
|Peggy Lipton singles chronology|
|Single by Barbra Streisand|
|from the album Stoney End|
|B-side||"I'll Be Home"|
|Released||28 September 1970|
|Barbra Streisand singles chronology|
"Stoney End" is a song written by Laura Nyro and first released in February 1967 on her debut album More Than a New Discovery. A gospel-inflected uptempo piece; according to childhood friend Alan Merrill, Nyro originally intended the song to be performed on a slower pace. The best known version of the song was a hit for Barbra Streisand in 1970.
The song reached number six on the US Billboard Hot 100 in early 1971 and became Streisand's second Top 10 hit. It also reached number two on the US Adult Contemporary chart. In Canada "Stoney End" peaked at number five.
|Canada RPM Top Singles||5|
|Canada RPM Adult Contemporary||29|
|UK Singles Chart||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||6|
|US Billboard Easy Listening||2|
|US Cash Box Top 100||7|
|US Cash Box||99|
- The Stone Poneys, which featured Linda Ronstadt, recorded a moderated version of "Stoney End" for their Stone Poneys & Friends / Volume 3 album in 1968.
- Stoney End was also recorded in 1968 by Peggy Lipton. Her recording reached #121 on the U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart.
- The Blossoms, who sang backing vocals on Peggy Lipton's version, recorded the song as the B-side of their single release, "Wonderful" in 1969.
- "Stoney End" had previously been performed by The Chicks. It charted in New Zealand, reaching number 21 in January 1970.
- "Stoney End" has also been performed by Linda Ronstadt, Maynard Ferguson, Judy Kuhn, and Diana Ross.
- "Peggy Lipton - Stoney End / San Francisco Glide (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Item: 10616 - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2016-05-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. 1970-01-09. Retrieved 2016-10-05.