Storage Technology Corporation
|Computer & Cloud Solutions|
|Industry||Computer hardware, software|
Redwood Shores, California,
|Safra A. Catz, CEO;
Mark Hurd, CEO
|Products||data storage hardware and software, professional and support services|
|Revenue||$2.2 billion USD (2004)|
Number of employees
Now owned by Oracle Corporation, it has been renamed Oracle StorageTek.
In the 1970s, StorageTek launched its Disk Products division. After a failed attempt to develop an IBM compatible mainframe, and an optical disk product line, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 1984. New management invested in an automated tape library system that 'picked' tapes with a robot arm and stored them in a silo-like contraption in 1987.
Storage Technology Corporation was officially renamed StorageTek in 1983.
- Sun Microsystems
- Disk array: ST9990, ST9985, ST6540, ST6140, Iceberg, IBM RVA, SVA.
- Disk drives: STK 8000 SuperDisk, STK8350, STK8650, STK N2700
- Fibre Channel, SAS, RAID and SCSI HBAs.
- Tape drives: STC 2450, STC 2470, STC 3400, STC 3600, StorageTek 4670, StorageTek 4480, 4490, 9490, SD-3, 9490, 9940, 9840C, T9840D, T10000A, T10000B, T10000C, T10000D
- Tape drives (rebranded): LTO, SDLT, DLT
- Tape libraries: 4400, 9310, 9710, 9714, 9730, 9740, L20, L40, L80, L700, L700e,L5500 L180, SL500, SL3000, SL8500, SL150
- Virtual Tape libraries: VSM1, VSM2, VSM3, VSM4, VSM5, VSM6
- Printer : StorageTek 5000
- 1970 - StorageTek releases its first product, the 2450/2470 tape drive.
- 1971 - StorageTek introduces the 3400 tape storage device.
- 1973 - StorageTek’s disk division is founded.
- 1974 - StorageTek’s first 3600 tape drive ships.
- 1975 - StorageTek ships the first 8000 Super Disk and announces the 8350 disk subsystem.
- 1978 - StorageTek develops a solid-state disk.
- 1984 - StorageTek develops the first intelligent disk.
- 1986 - StorageTek develops the first cached disk.
- 1987 - StorageTek develops tape automation and emerges from Chapter 11.
- 1994 - StorageTek introduces virtual disk, Iceberg.
- 1998 - StorageTek introduces Flexline disk arrays.
- 2001 - StorageTek introduces virtual networking.
- 2002 - StorageTek introduces BladeStore, a disk array based on ATA disk technology.
- 2003 - StorageTek introduces the EchoView data protection appliance, a disk-based appliance that eliminates the backup window.
- 2003 - StorageTek introduces the StreamLine SL8500 modular library system.
- 2012 - Oracle introduces the Streamline SL150 modular library system.
- 2013 - Oracle introduces the T10000D 8.5TB/252MBps tape drive
- Fundinguniverse.com: History of Storage Technology Corporation
- "Buying StorageTek: Sun's last big gamble?". CNET News. 2 June 2005. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Oracle Completes Acquisition of Sun". Yahoo. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2010.