|Type of business||Privately held|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|Alexa rank||1,573 (US, 04/2014)|
|Written in||Ruby on Rails|
Storenvy is an e-commerce platform which consists of an online store builder and social marketplace, with over 65,000 merchants and millions of products listed. Since launching the Marketplace in December 2012, there have been over $23 million in sales of products ranging from handmade goods to men’s and women’s apparel, jewelry, art, music, and home decor.
Custom Store Builder
Storenvy first launched as an online store builder in 2010. The platform allows store owners, makers and artists to open an online store for free and customize it. Store upgrades include custom domain usage and discounts.
When merchants open a store on Storenvy, their products are also featured on the Storenvy Marketplace, combining the aspects of a store builder and a marketplace.
In cooperation with Storefront Inc., Storenvy leased retail space in Downtown San Francisco and made it available to member merchants as a pop-up store. Five online sellers at a time can set up a physical shop there for one month, after which they are replaced by five other sellers.
In January 2014, the company announced it would begin collecting a percentage of sales made on the Marketplace section of the site. Custom Store sales would remain free. This change would allow the company to become profitable, according to Fox Business News.
Jon Crawford, founder and CEO, first had the idea for the business in 2008, while running a web design and development agency in Kansas City, Missouri. He thought there should be an easier way for people to set up their own stores online. He initially ran the business out of his garage. In 2010, he launched the store builder that would become known as Storenvy. In early 2011, the company raised a seed round of $1.53 million. In late 2012, the Storenvy Marketplace launched with over 35,000 brands. Shortly thereafter, the company raised a Series A round, bringing total funding to over $6.5 million.
- Angulo, Natalia (January 13, 2014). "Storenvy to Charge for Marketplace Sales in 2014". Fox Business. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Carney, Michael (August 7, 2013). "Storenvy's store-builder and marketplace hybrid means that creators can focus on their products, not marketing". Pando Daily. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Westervelt, Amy (February 3, 2014). "When Online Merchants Run a Real-World Store". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (February 12, 2013). "Storenvy Goes From Getting Kicked Out Of YC To Raising A $5M Round". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Bessette, Chanelle (April 8, 2014). "10 Questions: Jon Crawford, founder and CEO, Storenvy". CNN Money. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Siegler, M.G. (January 27, 2011). "Storenvy Finds A Number Of Impressive Buyers For Its $1.5 Million Round". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 May 2014.