Storm Force Accelatron
|Storm Force Accelatron|
Storm Force Accelatron entrance
|Islands of Adventure|
|Area||Marvel Super Hero Island|
|Opening date||May 28, 2000|
|Speed||10 mph (16 km/h)|
|Riders per vehicle||5|
|Height restriction||48 in (122 cm)|
Universal Express available
Single rider line available
Must transfer from wheelchair
Storm Force Accelatron is a teacups ride located in the Islands of Adventure theme park at Universal Orlando Resort. The attraction opened in the Marvel Super Hero Island of the theme park in 2000, a year after the opening of the park. The premise of the attraction is that Magneto, the archenemy of the X-Men, is threatening the world and Storm and Professor Xavier recruit riders into the "Storm Force Accelatron", a device that they hope will stop Magneto.
In 1991, planning began for a new theme park adjacent to Universal Studios Florida. By the end of 1993, it was decided that one area of the future Islands of Adventure theme park would be themed after Marvel Comics, with a Hulk theme being selected for a thrill ride. The designers of the ride wanted to simulate being fired out of a cannon and subsequently set about prototyping a launch system. Universal Creative and MTS Systems Corporation had a working prototype in January 1995. Methods to achieve this acceleration were investigated into mid-1996. On-site construction of Islands of Adventure was underway in 1997, with Superior Rigging & Erection being responsible for erecting the supports and track of the roller coaster. On May 28, 1999, Islands of Adventure officially opened to the public The ride was originally planned to open the ride with Islands of Adventure, but could not due to timing conflicts. The attraction broke ground in October, 1999 and construction began in February, 2000. During the construction period, walls were placed around the future attraction displaying a logo of the ride with a projected opening date of Spring, 2000. The attraction finally opened on May 28, 2000.
The queue line explains through live-action comic panels that Magneto, a villain of the X-Men, has returned to threaten the world. Storm gives word to Professor Xavier who decides to launch riders on his "Storm Force Accelatron" while Storm gathers the powers of Mother Nature in an effort to stop Magneto.
Riders enter circular shaped cars which are colored either purple or yellow. Each car has a large wheel in the center of it which riders may use to turn or hold onto during the course of the ride. Once riders have been seated, Professor Xavier and Storm explain the crisis going on, and give guests the instructions on how to use their accelatrons; by turning the vehicle around as fast as possible in an effort to stop Magneto. The ride then begins as riders are spun around in circles on a spinning track multiple times while they spin the vehicle even more by turning the wheel in front of them. Sound effects simulating lightning and thunder as well as flashing lights serve as show elements during the ride which originate from an overhead "power generator" facing the center of the track. At the conclusion, Xavier informs riders that they are successful and Magneto is retreating. Riders then exit the vehicles.
- "STORM FORCE ACCELATRON AT UNIVERSAL'S ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE". Orlando Informer. March 13, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Schneider, Mike (July 5, 1998). "Theme Parks Set in Motion Around Conference Tables". Lakeland Ledger. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- Total Immersion: Theme Park for the 21st Century. Orlando, Florida: USA Network.
- Cronan, Carl (September 15, 1997). "Disney Finds Another Way To Keep Visitors Entertained". The Tuscaloosa News. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Services". Superior Rigging & Erection Company. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Marden, Duane. "Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Storm Force Accelatron (Islands of Adventure)". Parkz. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "Geeking Out in Orlando: Islands of Adventure". Wired. July 20, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Official website for the Islands of Adventure attraction