Storm the Gates of Hell
|Storm The Gates Of Hell|
|Studio album by Demon Hunter|
|Released||November 6, 2007|
|Genre||Metalcore, alternative metal, Christian metal, groove metal|
59:03 (Deluxe and Special Edition)
|Producer||Aaron Sprinkle, Shaun Lopez|
|Demon Hunter chronology|
|Singles from Storm The Gates Of Hell|
|HM Magazine||Slightly favorable|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
|Today's Christian Music Favorable||Favorable|
Touring and promotion
The album's lead single, "Fading Away," along with the title track and "Carry Me Down," can be heard on the band's official MySpace. A promotional site entitled "A Thread of Light" was made, where one can listen to samples of "Storm the Gates of Hell," "I Am You," and "Fiction Kingdom." Two weeks before its release, the album leaked into P2P networks in its entirety. On November 2, the whole album was put on the Demon Hunter's Myspace page for previewing. Storm the Gates of Hell started at #85 on the Billboard 200, selling nearly 10,500 copies in the first week.
A music video was produced for "Fading Away." It was directed by Zach Merck, known for his previous work with Shadows Fall. The video has found considerable airplay on MTV2's Headbangers Ball. The music video for "Carry Me Down" also aired on MTV2.
The album was met with generally positive views. Ben Hurrell CrossRhythms gave the album nine out of ten stars saying "Since their appearance on a record label compilation in 2002 the band have hit the big time, releasing four albums gaining widespread coverage in the mainstream media as well as Christian circles." About.com gave the album three and a half out of five stars stating, "It's a step forward from their last release. They have really stepped up their songwriting. The tracks are a diverse mix of metallic riffs and warm melodies." Allmusic didn't give the album a score, but still praised the album saying, "Demon Hunter sparingly employs more traditional vocals and moody textures throughout the roaring, rapid firestorm of the songs. Even if rock is the "devil's music," Demon Hunter aren't afraid to use it to get their point across."
All songs written and composed by Demon Hunter.
|1.||"Storm the Gates of Hell"||2:44|
|2.||"Lead Us Home"||4:24|
|3.||"Sixteen" (featuring Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice)||5:18|
|5.||"Carry Me Down"||4:32|
|6.||"A Thread of Light"||3:35|
|7.||"I Am You"||4:14|
|10.||"Follow the Wolves"||3:55|
|12.||"The Wrath of God"||4:06|
|Special and deluxe edition bonus tracks|
|13.||"No Reason to Exist"||3:23|
- Demon Hunter
- Ryan Clark — lead vocals
- Don Clark — rhythm guitar
- Ethan Luck — lead guitar, lap steel guitar
- Jon Dunn — bass guitar
- Timothy "Yogi" Watts — drums
- Production and additional musicians
- Bruce Fitzhugh — guest vocals on track 3
- Aaron Sprinkle — keyboards, producer, programming
- Shaun Lopez — rhythm guitar, theremin, production
- Chris Carmichael — strings
- Art direction by Invisible Creature
- Mixed by Machine at The Machine Shop (Hoboken, New Jersey)
Three editions of the album were produced: regular, special, and deluxe.
- The special edition contains a DVD, two bonus songs ("No Reason To Exist" and "Grand Finale"), and special packaging.
- The (limited) deluxe edition contains a DVD with extended footage apart from the Special Edition, two bonus songs ("No Reason To Exist" and "Grand Finale"), exclusive limited packaging including a large format booklet with exclusive studio photos, lyrics, liner notes and more, an exclusive band postcard set, a rare Demon Hunter necklace with a Skull Horn pendant, and a Demon Hunter sticker.
In 2009, the Deluxe Edition, along with Trenches's The Tide Will Swallow Us Whole and Hawk Nelson's ...Is My Friend albums which were also designed by Invisible Creature, was nominated for a Dove Award for Recorded Music Packaging of the Year at the 40th GMA Dove Awards.
- Chad Bowar. "Demon Hunter - Storm The Gates Of Hell". About.com Entertainment. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "Review: Storm The Gates Of Hell - Demon Hunter - Cross Rhythms". Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "Demon Hunter, "Storm The Gates Of Hell" Review". Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "Demon Hunter". Rhapsody. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "TodaysChristianMusic.com". Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- Metal News - Demon Hunter Charts At #85 On Billboard ( Metal Underground . com )
- http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/products/Demon_Hunter/Storm_The_Gates_Of_Hell/32978/ CrossRhythms Review for Storm the Gates of Hell
- http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/demonstormthe.htm Album Review
- http://www.allmusic.com/album/storm-the-gates-of-hell-mw0000496724 Allmusic Review
- Nominations Announced for 40th GMA Dove Awards on CBN.com (February 20, 2008)
- AThreadofLight.com The promotional site for the album "Storm The Gates Of Hell"
-  Opening Week Album Sales
- on YouTube