||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Stormie Omartian // (née Stormie Sherk) is an American Christian author. She is the wife of Michael Omartian, with whom she recorded five musical albums before she launched her writing career. She also appeared in several professional theatrical productions in the California area, and appeared later in nationwide television shows as a singer, dancer, and actress, before her marriage.
Stormie Omartian has sold more than twenty-eight million copies of her series of Christian-oriented books world wide. She has written over 50 books.
In May 2002, The Power of a Praying Wife broke a 21-year industry record by claiming the number one spot on the Christian Booksellers Association bestsellers list for 27 consecutive months. It has sold over 8 million copies. The Power of a Praying Husband has sold over 1,500,000 copies. The Power of a Praying Parent has sold over 2 million copies, and The power of a Praying Woman has sold over 1,600,000 copies.
In July 2014, Stormie Omartian announced that she and her daughter-in-law, Paige Omartian would be launching a new online community called, Omartian.net. This online community will give its members an opportunity to receive exclusive, members only content from Stormie and Paige.
Omartian and her husband have written hundreds of songs, including the Christian musical Child of the Promise. They released a collection of praise and worship hymns, The Prayer that Changes Everything (released by Integrity Music) which contains familiar worship songs plus original music by the Omartians. The music was arranged and produced by Michael Omartian.
The Omartians have been married for more than 38 years. They are the parents of 3 grown children.
- Tim Stafford, "Where Stormie Finds Her Power: Stormie Omartian is a bestselling author precisely because she doesn't have a picture-perfect life." Christianity Today, July 1, 2004.
- "CBA Historical Timeline", Christian Booksellers Association website (accessed 2013-03-01).
- Mike Joyce, "Various Artists: 'Child of the Promise' (Sparrow)" (review), The Washington Post, December 8, 2000 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- "Christian Stars Unite in Christmas Show", The Cincinnati Post, November 30, 2000 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Ben Thompson. "Born Standing Up, By Steve Martin. It seems that you shouldn't judge a book by its author." The Independent on Sunday, January 27, 2008.
- "Take a tour of Steve Martin's Orange County", Orange County Register, December 20, 2007.
- Stormie Omartian confirmed this in her own memoir, Stormie (Harvest House Publishers, 1997), ISBN 978-0736933391, p. 70. Excerpts available at Google Books.