|Known for||free and open source software advocacy|
Stormy Peters is an information technology industry analyst and prominent free and open source software (FOSS) advocate, promoting business use of FOSS. She advocates as a consultant and conference speaker. She co-founded, and was later appointed as executive director of the GNOME Foundation. She previously worked for Mozilla Corporation, Cloud Foundry, and Red Hat. In August 2019 she joined Microsoft.
Peters's birth name is Robyn; however, she has not gone by that name since her childhood.
In approximately 1999 Peters was managing the HP-UX desktop development and became aware of the GNOME project when the team decided to provide GNOME on HPUX. Peters had a role in explaining the Open Source business and intellectual property models to Hewlett-Packard management. She later founded the Hewlett-Packard Open Source Program office. In 2000 she became one of the founding members of the GNOME Foundation Advisory board.
In December 2005 Peters became Director of Product Management for OpenLogic, an Open Source services company. In July 2008 Peters left OpenLogic and became the executive director of the GNOME Foundation. Her role was in coordinating with sponsors, business development and marketing. In November 2010 she left to Mozilla. Between July 2011 to June 2012 she was a member of the GNOME Board of Directors.
Peters has given keynote talks to many Open Source conferences including the Open Source Business Conference, linux.conf.au, the 2008 and 2009 GNOME.Asia summit in Beijing and Ho Chi Minh City respectively, and the Ohio Linuxfest in 2010.
In August 2019 Peters became the Director of the Open Source Programs Office at Microsoft.
- "Changing Roles". Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Stormy Peters heads Cloud Foundry developer relations - Open Source Insider". ComputerWeekly.com. 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- "My first day at Red Hat! – Stormy's Corner". Stormy's Corner. 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- Foley, Mary Jo. "Microsoft hires open-source veteran Stormy Peters to run its Open Source Programs Office". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- Varghese, Sam (2008-02-05). "Stormy by name, not by nature". IT Wire. Archived from the original on 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2009-05-01.
Her real name is Robyn but she hasn't been called that except for a while when she lived in Spain as a child.
- "The OpenLogic Management Team: Stormy Peters, Director of Community and Partner Programs". OpenLogic. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- Bhartiya, Swapnil (2008-07-15). "A Storm In The Computing World: Stormy Peters". EFYTimes.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-11. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- "GNOME hires Stormy Peters as Executive Director" (Press release). GNOME Foundation. 2008-07-07. Archived from the original on December 23, 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-09.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "OpenLogic Hires Open Source Expert Stormy Peters as Director of Product Management" (Press release). OpenLogic. 2005-12-07. Archived from the original on 2006-05-04. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- "FoundationBoard/History - GNOME Wiki!". wiki.gnome.org. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- "GNOME.Asia Summit 2008 conference website". Archived from the original on 2011-08-10.
- "GNOME.Asia Summit 2009 conference website". Archived from the original on 2010-06-16.