Storstockholms Lokaltrafik AB, (Stockholm Public Transport, literally Greater Stockholm Local Transit Company), commonly referred to as SL, is the organisation running all of the land based public transport systems in Stockholm County.
SL has its origins in AB Stockholms Spårvägar (SS), a city-owned public transit company which started in 1915 by the City of Stockholm with the aim to deprivatize the two separate private tramway networks into one more efficient company. SS would in the late 1920s also acquire private motorbus companies. The first part of the Stockholm Metro was opened in 1950. SS was renamed to SL in January 1967 when the metro, local train, and bus operations in Stockholm County were merged into a single organisation under the supervision of Stockholm County Council. The different mass transit systems within the County had until then been run by different organisations, Statens Järnvägar, private companies and companies owned by the local municipalities.
In 1993 SL began to use independent contractors for the operation and maintenance of the different transport systems. For bus traffic the operators own the buses, but for rail bound traffic the SL own the trains, and the contractors operate them.
There is one more organisation owned by the county and responsible for local public transport. This is Waxholmsbolaget, responsible for boat traffic.
The contractors used by SL are as of April 2016 the following.
- Stockholmståg (Swedish-language site)
- Stockholm commuter rail.
- AB Stockholms Spårvägar
- "Stockholm Transport". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Archived from the original on 2007-06-15. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "Entreprenörer och samarbeten". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Archived from the original on November 6, 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Arriva". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "Busslink". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "MTR". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Retrieved 2010-01-25.[dead link]
- "Nobina". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Archived from the original on December 20, 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Stockholmståg". AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik. Archived from the original on December 20, 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
Media related to Storstockholms Lokaltrafik at Wikimedia Commons