Storthes Hall is a part of the township of Kirkburton, West Yorkshire, England. A heavily wooded area, it comprises a single road, Storthes Hall Lane, which links Kirkburton with the nearby villages of Farnley Tyas and Thurstonland. The most significant properties in the area are Storthes Hall Mansion (now a private property), Storthes Hall Hospital (located further west with the main administrative block surviving as a derelict building) and, finally, Storthes Hall Park Student Village which has been built on the old hospital site.
Storthes Hall Mansion was built as a private house for the mill owning Horsefall family in about 1788. It is located close to Kirkburton centre and was renamed The Mansion Hospital when it became an independently managed facility for people with learning disabilities. After the Mansion Hospital closed in 1991, the building, which is Grade II listed, was converted back for private residential use.
Storthes Hall Hospital
An area to the west of The Mansion, closer to Farnley Tyas, was developed as Storthes Hall Hospital in the early 20th century. After the Storthes Hall Hospital closed in 1992, part of the Storthes Hall Hospital site was used as a training facility for Huddersfield Town A.F.C. before their move to their state of the art Canalside facility off Leeds Road in 2011.
Storthes Hall Park Student Village
Much of the area previously occupied by the Storthes Hall Hospital was developed as a student campus, the Storthes Hall Park Student Village, for the University of Huddersfield in the mid 1990s. The village accommodates the largest single concentration of students from the University with over 1,300 students staying every year.
- Historic England. "Storthes Hall Mansion (1313310)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Local History". BBC. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Storthes Hall". County Asylums. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Storthes Hall - memories of Huddersfield's psychiatric hospital". Huddersfield Examiner. 31 January 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Huddersfield Town planning £15m-plus revamp of training ground". Yorkshire Post. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- "Storthes Hall Park". Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Storthes Hall, Huddersfield". Private Halls. Retrieved 20 April 2019.
- Spencer, Douglas (1985). Some Historical Records on the Mansion Hospital and Storthes Hall Hospital, Kirkburton, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.