|• Total||8,234.1 km2 (3,179.2 sq mi)|
|• Land||7,303.53 km2 (2,819.91 sq mi)|
|• Water||930.57 km2 (359.30 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||0.72/km2 (1.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The parish Stensele was created as late as 1822. It was, together with the parish Tärna, made into a municipality in 1863. In 1903 Tärna was detached to form a municipality of its own. The local government reform of 1971 saw the reunification of Stensele and Tärnaby municipalities, thus forming Storuman Municipality with the name taken from its largest town.
The municipality has Sweden's ninth largest area (8,286 km2), but is sparsely populated with a population density of less than 1 inhabitant per km2.
The municipal seat in bold
There are two railways, Inlandsbanan and the Storuman-Hällnäs Line in Storuman. The former is used for tourist trains in the summer, and both for freight trains.
The following cities are twinned with Storuman:
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
- "Ystävyyskunnat" (in Norwegian). City of Viitasaari. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Storuman Municipality.|
- Storuman Municipality - Official site (in Swedish)