Storylines of Shortland Street (2007)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 1 Highlights of the year
- 2 Storylines by month
- 3 Characters
- 4 References
- 5 See also
Highlights of the year
- Teenager Scarlett Valentine attempts to run down ex-boyfriend Hunter McKay in the schoolyard after months of bullying.
- Maia Jefferies falls pregnant using her brother-in-law Mark Weston as the sperm donor, behind the backs of their family, including his wife Tania Jeffries.
- Sarah Potts and TK Samuels get married.
- Toni Warner runs away with her brother-in-law Guy and her son Harry, after she finds out her husband Chris has cheated on her with Rachel McKenna and Justine Jones.
- Cocky Hunter McKay lies about his age and finds himself in an uncomfortable situation for a photo shoot for a safe sex campaign. This ambition finally gets the better of him and he has to explain to his parents what he has done.
- A serial killer dubbed the "Ferndale Strangler" has the women of Shortland Street living in fear, when several women are found strangled with medical procedures carried out on their bodies. The victims are receptionist Claire Solomon, nurse Meg Harris, bar owner Jay Copeland, nurse Beth Wilson and nurse Brenda Holloway. Undercover cop Tracey Morrison also has a close encounter with the killer, but survives.
- Hunter McKay falls in love with nurse Tess Adamson, a woman double his age, and the pair embark on an affair.
- In the season finale for 2007, Guy, Toni, Tuesday and Harry Warner are involved in a high-speed crash with the police, and nurse Joey Henderson is revealed as the Ferndale Strangler as he sneaks up behind unsuspecting nurse Tania Jeffries.
Storylines by month
- This year starts with "The Good The Bad And The Ugly of 2006."
- Chris Warner and Justine Jones continue their affair when an old rival of Justine's catches them but decide to keep it secret. This gives Justine second thoughts.
- Brenda Holloway's car slips off the road, causing her minor injuries.
- James Scott takes over from Toni Warner as nursing manager.
- The mysterious Kieran Mitchell crashes his motorbike and starts a life in Ferndale.
- TK Samuels and Sarah Potts get married.
- Craig Valentine suffers a heart attack.
- The hospital refurbishment is completed.
- Guy Warner and Tuesday Warner return to Ferndale.
- Rachel McKenna returns for an audit of the hospital.
- Chris Warner is discovered in bed with Rachel by his wife Toni Warner.
- Toni runs off to Australia with Harry, Guy and Tuesday.
- Brenda is demoted after being found drunk while on duty. Her drunkenness is due to her needing comfort after her estranged husband Gary died in the hospital and being snubbed by their son Lachlan.
- Joey Henderson arrives in Ferndale.
- Libby Jeffries and Kieran Mitchell get engaged.
- Kieran assaults Claire Solomon when she tries to prevent Libby and Kieran's wedding going ahead. Claire receives a cut to her forehead.
- Libby calls off the engagement when she finds Kieran in bed with Claire.
- Claire is found dead in a skip by Mark Weston and TK. Claire is the first victim of the Ferndale Strangler.
- Chris goes bush for the weekend with Craig. After a lunatic with a crossbow chases them, he ends up rolling down a cliff, causing a rockslide. Chris survives but his hand is crushed. Justine Jones is hopeful that he will make a full recovery.
- Toni applies for full custody of Harry, prompting outrage from Chris.
- At the 20-week scan, Maia Jeffries discovers the baby's sex is male, after Jay Copeland phones the hospital pretending to be Maia. Jay's deception means their marriage is over.
- Tania Weston announces that she is pregnant at her husband Mark's 30th birthday.
- Mark and Meg Harris have sex at the party, in the IV toilets.
- Meg is found dead in a skip by Jay. Meg is the second victim of the Ferndale Strangler.
- Kip Denton, a skate-board enthusiast, arrives as a locum when Craig goes to Australia to visit his children.
- Jay is found dead in the bush close to the hospital by Kip and nurse Alice Piper. Jay is the third victim of the Ferndale Strangler.
- Joey Henderson moves into El Rancho.
- Mark tells Tania he slept with Meg; Tania feels betrayed, then aborts their baby.
- Having heard of Jay's murder, a grieving Maia is being comforted by sister Tania and their mother Yvonne when Mark walks in and says that he is sick of lying and he is the father of Maia's baby.
- Mark leaves to go to work in Melbourne, Australia.
- Kieran Mitchell's estranged father comes to see him and the two argue. Kieran receives a cheque from his father and uses the proceeds to purchase the IV Bar.
- Steve Roberts becomes the main suspect after he scares Alice.
- Joey Henderson becomes the main suspect after a misunderstanding with Beth Wilson.
- Sophie McKay and Nate Adamson start stalking Dr. Luke Durville because they believe he is the serial killer.
- Sarah finds out that Tess Adamson and Hunter McKay are in a relationship. Hunter and Tess break up, then get back together.
- TK and Sophie find out about Tess and Hunter's relationship.
- Beth is kidnapped by the killer.
- Scotty becomes a suspect.
- Steve is arrested for theft of hospital supplies and is sacked from his job.
- Beth's Wilson's body is found.
- Maia gives birth to her baby in the back seat of Tania's car after being caught in traffic congestion.
- Nate finds out about his mother's affair with Hunter and tells Callum McKay.
- Brenda Holloway may have discovered the person behind the patients' cardiac arrests, but she takes that knowledge to her grave when she is confronted by a man/woman wearing a George W. Bush mask who injects her in the neck, resulting in her becoming the fifth victim of Ferndale's serial killer.
- James "Scotty" Scott is arrested for resisting arrest but then is let out because there is not enough evidence against him for being the Ferndale Strangler.
- Harmony O'Neill makes her first appearance on 20 November.
- Nate Adamson returns after running away.
- Tracey Morrison is found semi-conscious in a skip but is still alive.
- Tess and Hunter split up, after Hunter proposes.
- Justin Salt returns and attacks Harmony while she is walking home from the IV.
- Harmony makes a move on TK and is caught by Tane, Wiremu and Sarah, who have returned from holiday.
- Gerald gives Tania a package from Mark to Maia and asks her to deliver it. She instead opens it and reads a letter in which Mark reveals he is in a new relationship with a woman named Amy and they are expecting a baby, which means that Jay Jeffries will have a half-brother or sister.
- Gavin Capper is arrested for the Ferndale murders and for an unrelated incident involving Justin Salt where a woman was drugged and raped by Gavin.
- Wiremu is sacked from the IV after Kieran finds a bottle of vodka in his bag put there by Harmony, who herself steals $5000 from the IV safe before fleeing.
- Hunter McKay leaves home after getting dumped by Tess Adamson.
- Tuesday Warner come to Chris for help with drug-addicted father Guy. Chris offers to help, but Guy refuses. He subsequently drives off with Toni, Harry and Tuesday, and ends up rolling the car down a bank after failing to take a corner while driving 100 km/h on a gravel road.
- Joey is revealed as the Ferndale Strangler after he takes an IV tube out of his pocket, curls it around his hands and started walking towards Tania Jeffries while her back is turned.
Ferndale Killer Leak
South Pacific Pictures made three endings to the 2007 season - in order to protect the secret of "who is the killer" from the public - as even the actors did not know for sure. In early December 2007 early production footage, still showing the original timecodes, were leaked onto YouTube. These three alternative endings to the 2007 season were eventually removed, presumably due to threat of legal action from TVNZ. They were detailed by the NZ Herald newspaper, and were also once again loaded to YouTube, though in lesser quality to the originals. In line with the action taken by South Pacific Pictures the three endings mentioned have been removed. However, as the actual ending was different from all three of these, it appears it was just a publicity stunt.
Core characters featured all year
- Chris Warner
- Callum McKay
- Hunter McKay
- Justine Jones
- Sophie McKay
- Tania Jeffries
- TK Samuels
- Yvonne Jeffries
- Alice Piper
- Craig Valentine
- Sarah Potts
- Libby Jeffries
Core characters featured in part of the year
- Toni Warner took six-month break in second half of the year
- Maia Jeffries took six-month break starting in October
Core character departures
Core character arrivals
|Storylines of Shortland Street