Cottages at Stourton
Stourton shown within Wiltshire
|Population||192 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Stourton with Gasper|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||South West Wiltshire|
Stourton is a village in Wiltshire, England. The village is close to the county boundary with Somerset and about 8.5 miles (13.7 km) south of the Somerset market town of Frome. It is part of the Stourhead estate, now in the ownership of the National Trust.
Two miles south-west are the earthwork remains of a motte-and-bailey castle known as Castle Orchard.
The civil parish of Stourton with Gasper consists of three ancient manors: Stourton, Bonham and Gasper. The hamlets of Bonham and Gasper were in the Norton Ferris Hundred of Somerset until 1895, when a boundary revision transferred the Somerset portion of the parish to Wiltshire.
The Church of England parish church of St Peter has 14th-century origins but has been much restored and altered; it is Grade I listed. It contains monuments of the Hoare family, owners of the estate. The architect and mason Nathaniel Ireson was churchwarden in the 1720s and may have done work on the church himself. The antiquarian William Coxe was rector from 1801 to 1811.
Stourton is home to Kilmington and Stourton Cricket Club who play in Division One of the Somerset Cricket League.
- "Stourton with Gasper - 2011 Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Victoria County History - Somerset - Vol 7 pp161-163 - Norton Ferris Hundred". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of St Peter, Stourton with Gasper (1318468)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Church of St. Peter, Stourton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Historic England. "Bonham House and Bonham Cottage (1131128)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Roman Catholic Church, Stourton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Stourton Memorial Hall". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "The Spread Eagle Inn". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Kilmington and Stourton Cricket Club". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
Media related to Stourton, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons
- "Stourton with Gasper". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- GENUKI - Stourton