Stourton with Gasper
|Stourton with Gasper|
Cottages at Stourton
|Population||192 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Stourton with Gasper is a civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire. The parish includes the village of Stourton, along with the hamlets of Bonham and Gasper. It is close to the county boundary with Somerset, about 8.5 miles (13.7 km) south of the Somerset market town of Frome, and some 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of the A303 trunk road.
The village of Stourton is part of the Stourhead estate, now in the ownership of the National Trust, and the entrance to the estate's famous house and garden is through the village. To the east of the village lies the steep slopes and downland of White Sheet Hill, a section of which is within the civil parish.
Stourton with Gasper consists of three ancient manors: Stourton, Bonham and Gasper. The hamlets of Bonham and Gasper were in the Norton Ferris Hundred of Somerset until 1895, when a boundary revision transferred the Somerset portion of the parish to Wiltshire.
The Church of England parish church of St Peter at Stourton has 14th-century origins but has been much restored and altered; it is Grade I listed. It contains monuments of the Hoare family, owners of the estate. The architect and mason Nathaniel Ireson was churchwarden in the 1720s and may have done work on the church himself. The antiquarian William Coxe was rector from 1801 to 1811.
About 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) southwest of Stourton village, and within the civil parish, are the earthwork remains of Castle Orchard, a motte-and-bailey castle that is scheduled as an ancient monument.
The civil parish elects a parish council. The parish is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which performs all significant local government functions, and of the South West Wiltshire parliamentary constituency.
Stourton is home to Kilmington and Stourton Cricket Club who play in Divisions Four and Seven of the Somerset Cricket League.
- "Stourton with Gasper - 2011 Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Victoria County History - Somerset - Vol 7 pp161-163 - Norton Ferris Hundred". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of St Peter, Stourton with Gasper (1318468)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Church of St. Peter, Stourton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Historic England. "Bonham House and Bonham Cottage (1131128)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Roman Catholic Church, Stourton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Orchard Castle". Historic England. Archived from the original on 6 July 2017. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Stourton with Gasper Parish Council". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Stourton Memorial Hall". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "The Spread Eagle Inn". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Kilmington and Stourton Cricket Club". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stourton with Gasper.|