Strada delle 52 Gallerie
|Road of 52 Tunnels, Road of the first Army|
|Strada delle 52 gallerie, Strada delle Prima Armata|
Road of 52 Tunnels
|Controlled by||Kingdom of Italy|
|Built||February 6, 1917|
|Built by||Kingdom of Italy|
|In use||Kingdom of Italy|
|Battles/wars||World War I|
|Strada delle 52 Gallerie|
|Length||6.5 km (4 mi)|
|Trailheads||Bocchetta Campiglia (1.216 m)
Porte del Pasubio (1.928 m)
|Elevation change||750 m (2,460 ft)|
|Highest point||the end of 47th tunnel, 2.000 m (6.562 ft)|
|Lowest point||Bocchetta Campiglia, 1.216 m (3.99 ft)|
|Right of way||military mule|
The road winds between Bocchetta Campiglia (1,216 m) and the Porte del Pasubio (1,934 m) crossing the southern slope of the mountain, outside of the range of Austro-Hungarian artillery, with its spires, deep canyons and sheer rock faces.
It is 6,555 meters long, of which 2,280 are divided into 52 tunnels excavated from the rock, each tunnel is numbered and characterized by a particular name. The minimum width of 2.20 m was originally intended to allow the transit of two mules with their baggage.
The impressive N. 20 is carved out of a rock tower, and to overcome the difference in height, twists around itself like a corkscrew. Tunnels 41st through 45th runs below the Passo Fontana d'Oro (1,875 m). On leaving the 47th, the highest point of the road (2,000 m), there is a magnificent panorama.
It was built from February 6, 1917 to November 1917. A masterpiece of military engineering and boldness (it was produced by the 33rd Company of the Italian Army with the help of six hundred workers), considering the conditions and the time it was built, and the speed of execution. Work began February 6, 1917 and was completed in November 1917.
Its implementation was of great strategic importance because it allowed communication and transfer of supplies from the base to the summit area of Mt. Pasubio. Key aspects of the road include year round access, located outside of enemy artillery range and accessible by mule. These were all problems with the similar road of Scarubbi which is only accessible with motorized vehicles, within the range of the Austrian guns, and only during the summer.
Mountain biking is strictly prohibited due to a number of fatal accidents.
- (Italian)"Sentieri Pasubio e Carega-foglio Nord" 1:20.000 Sezioni vicentine del CAI
- (Italian) Sentieri della val di Posina, edito dalla Provincia di Vicenza, assessorato al turismo 26 April 2013
- Kompass – carte (ed.). Carta turistica 1:50000 n.101 – Rovereto M.Pasubio (in Italian). ISBN 9783854911036.
- Claudio Gattera (2007). Gino Rossato Editore, ed. Il pasubio e la strada delle 52 gallerie (in Italian). ISBN 978-88-8130-017-4.
- Strada 52 Gallerie 3D
- "Strada delle 52 Gallerie". Eclectica.
- (Italian) Strada delle 52 gallerie
- (Italian) Strada delle 52 gallerie Itinerario
- (German) Bericht über die Strada delle 52 Galerie im Explorermagazin