Strahan Airport from the air, from the north
|Operator||West Coast Council|
|Serves||West Coast, Tasmania|
|Elevation AMSL||66 ft / 20 m|
Strahan Airport (IATA: SRN, ICAO: YSRN) is an airport located 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) west of Strahan, Tasmania, Australia. It is the main airport for the West Coast of Tasmania, and is owned and maintained by the West Coast Council. The need for an airport in the area was suggested in the 1950s, and suggestions for upgrades have occurred over time.
History and facilities
Strahan Airport, previously known as Strahan Aerodrome, has a north–south alignment and runs parallel to Ocean Beach. Like the rest of West Coast Tasmania, Strahan Airport airspace is controlled from Melbourne Airport in Victoria.
Helicopter and fixed wing flights operate from here for charter flights into the south-west wilderness area, or over locations in western Tasmania. There are currently no regular passenger flights to Strahan from other airports in Tasmania.
Previously, in the 1970s, a runway was utilised at Howards Plains – just west of Queenstown and Strahan, and if weather conditions were difficult at Queenstown, Strahan would be the alternative landing location. Airlines of Tasmania ran the service.
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 15 August 2019, Aeronautical Chart (
- "SEEKS AIRPORT FOR STRAHAN". The Examiner. Launceston, Tasmania. 17 January 1950. p. 4 Section: The Examiner WOMEN'S SECTION. Retrieved 31 July 2011 – via National Library of Australia.
- 3 Nov 2002 (The Mercury – ABIX via COMTEX) Tasmanian Senator Guy Barnett says an upgrade of Strahan Airport would require support from all three tiers of government. Barnett said the poten... Barnett push for airport upgrade.
- 3 Oct 2004 (The Mercury – ABIX via COMTEX) A new regular air service to Strahan on Tasmania's west coast could create tourism opportunities when it commences in November 2004. West Coast M...Air service lift for West Coast.
- 6 Mar 2005 (The Mercury – ABIX via COMTEX) West Coast Mayor, Darryl Gerrity, says the proposed $A2.5m upgrade of Strahan airport should consider ongoing maintenance of the site. The upgrad... Revamp of airport 'must consider cost'.
- "STRAHAN COUNCIL". The Advocate (Australia). Tasmania, Australia. 22 March 1937. p. 8. Retrieved 3 November 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- "AERODROME PROPOSAL". The Advocate (Australia). Tasmania, Australia. 14 April 1950. p. 9. Retrieved 3 November 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Aerodrome Sought For Strahan". The Mercury. CLXVIII, (24, 939). Tasmania, Australia. 24 November 1950. p. 4. Retrieved 3 November 2018 – via National Library of Australia.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Henty, Denham (5 March 1965), Commonwealth offer on Strahan aerodrome, retrieved 3 November 2018
- "COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA Civil Aviation Act 1988 NOTICE UNDER SECTION 49 - TRANSFER OF LEASEHOLD INTERESTS TO THE CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY". Commonwealth Of Australia Gazette. Periodic (P12). Australia, Australia. 9 June 1989. p. 67. Retrieved 3 November 2018 – via National Library of Australia.