Straight in a Gay Gay World
|Straight in a Gay Gay World|
|Studio album by Skyhooks|
|Recorded||The Record Plant, Sausalito and Armstrong Studios, Melbourne "Million Dollar Riff" recorded at TCS Studios, Melbourne|
Straight in a Gay Gay World was the third studio album released by Australian '70s rock band, Skyhooks. The album was released on 23 August 1976. With the exception of "Million Dollar Riff", it was recorded at The Record Plant in Sausalito, California, after the band's first tour of the United States earlier in the same year. The title and songs are a sort of view the band had on their experience in the States. Like the band's first two albums, Living in the 70's and Ego Is Not a Dirty Word, Straight in a Gay Gay World was produced by former Daddy Cool leader Ross Wilson.
Two singles were lifted from this album, "This Is My City" / "Somewhere In Sydney" and "Blue Jeans" / "Mumbo Jumbo", both in the year of the album's release. These peaked at #19 and #13 respectively on Australian charts. "Million Dollar Riff" was released as a single in 1975 before Skyhooks toured the States and reached #2 in Australia. The album was released by Mushroom Records. It peaked at #2 on Australian charts the same year. "Mumbo Jumbo" features vocals from guitarist Red Symons, which was also an occurrence on the band's two previous albums where Symons sang lead vocals to a single track on each album.
Reviewed In Australian music magazine RAM at the time of release, it was called, "metehedrine power rock. It's jingle-jangley and crazy-tempered with guitar that shrill jackhammer like giant mosquitoes - dive-bombing into rhythms that are playing epileptic leap-frog around your stereo speakers." The song "Crazy Heart" was complimented for being "sweetly mellow" compared to the rest of the album.
All tracks by Greg Macainsh, except where noted. Red Symons provides lead vocals on "Mumbo Jumbo".
- "Million Dollar Riff" – 3:50
- "Is This America?" – 4:32
- "Blue Jeans" – 2:30
- "Somewhere in Sydney" – 3:46
- "The Girl Says She's Bored" – 3:33
- "This Is My City" – 3:40
- "Straight in a Gay Gay World" – 4:29
- "I'm Normal" – 3:15
- "Mumbo Jumbo" (Red Symons) – 3:24
- "Crazy Heart" – 4:47
- Shirley Strachan – lead vocals
- Red Symons – guitar, backing and lead (9) vocals, keyboards
- Bob "Bongo" Starkie – guitar, backing vocals
- Greg Macainsh – bass, backing vocals
- Imants Alfred Strauks – drums, backing vocals, percussion
- Anthony O'Grady. "Skyhooks Straight in a Gay Gay World". RAM. Sydney, NSW: Soundtracts Publishing Pty Ltd (August 1976).