|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||2.87 km2 (1.11 sq mi)|
|Length||3.2 km (1.99 mi)|
|Width||1.5 km (0.93 mi)|
|Coastline||8.7 km (5.41 mi)|
|Highest elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|District||North and Middle Andaman|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||East Baratang Group|
|Largest settlement||Strait village|
|Pop. density||13.59/km2 (35.2/sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Hindu, Andamanese|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
Strait Island is an island of the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the North and Middle Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The island lies 63 km (39 mi) north from Port Blair.
Strait Island is a tribal reservation. The reservation for the Great Andamanese, one of the indigenous people of the Andaman Islands, was built and is managed by the Andaman administration. The Andamanese settlement was constructed like a model village in India. The Great Andamanese settlement was constructed with concrete houses in rows. The other half is occupied by welfare personnel and police quarters. There is a school for children and a small dispensary for primary health care. There is a lighthouse at the top of the tallest hill on the island, established 1983.
Strait Island is a small island located 6 km (4 mi) east of Baratang Island, Great Andaman, in the Diligent Strait, which separates Great Andaman from Ritchie's Archipelago. The island belongs to the East Baratang Group and lies east of Colebrooke Island. The island is comma-shaped, and heavily forested.
There is only 1 village, located at the island. The population at the 2011 census was 39 (of which 26 were male), living in 15 households.
location of Strait Island highlighted in red, within Andaman Islands
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Andaman.
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- Awaradi, S.A. 1990. Computerized Master Plan 1991-2021 for Welfare of Primitive Tribes of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Andaman and Nicobar Administration, Port Blair.
- Abbi, A. 2006. Endangered Languages of Andaman Islands. Muenchen: Lincom GmbH
Manoharan, S. 1989. A Descriptive and Comparative Study of the Andamanese Language. Calcutta: Anthropological Survey of India
- "Government of India, Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships". www.dgll.nic.in. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- [permanent dead link]
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel guide from Wikivoyage
|This Andaman and Nicobar Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|